Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARD OUT

Options
  • 20-06-2012 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

The IABA have received notification from AIBA in regards to current European champion Joe Ward.The IABA have received final notification today from AIBA that boxer Joe Ward, (81kg) will not be competing in the 2012 London Olympics.

The AIBA notification states: “…following the Olympic Qualifying Guidelines approved by the IOC Executive Board, the next Best Boxer from the 2011 AIBA World Boxing Championships is supposed to be selected. Following the Competition Protocol list, we regrettably found out that your boxer does not meet the qualification to be the next Best Boxer in your continent.”

Seems a lame excuse to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

barney4001 wrote: »
    The IABA have received notification from AIBA in regards to current European champion Joe Ward.The IABA have received final notification today from AIBA that boxer Joe Ward, (81kg) will not be competing in the 2012 London Olympics.

The AIBA notification states: “…following the Olympic Qualifying Guidelines approved by the IOC Executive Board, the next Best Boxer from the 2011 AIBA World Boxing Championships is supposed to be selected. Following the Competition Protocol list, we regrettably found out that your boxer does not meet the qualification to be the next Best Boxer in your continent.”

Seems a lame excuse to me

It's an in or out result. How is it a lame excuse? I would have loved to see Ward get in, but I was under no impression that he would. He must not have met the requirements that the committee were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

walshb wrote: »
    It's an in or out result. How is it a lame excuse? I would have loved to see Ward get in, but I was under no impression that he would. He must not have met the requirements that the committee were looking for.

what beggars me who is more qualified than Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

barney4001 wrote: »
    what beggars me who is more qualified than Joe

But what was the criteria they used to reach their result? If it was down to world ratings I could understand Joe being a heavy favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

walshb wrote: »
    But what was the criteria they used to reach their result? If it was down to world ratings I could understand Joe being a heavy favourite.

I don't think anybody knows the specific criteria yet thats why there is confusion. Ward was told he didnt meet the criteria, but was never actually told how this was the case.

Theres a good chance they will choose the criteria to suit the fighter they want to send forward.

Of course all of this is moot if a boxer from a non qualifying nation is picked, then the tri partite wildcard has be exercised fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

This article explains the situation very well.

http://grannykiller.com/2012/06/20/no-justice-and-no-joy-for-joe/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 cbirt531

good article.

Advertisement