Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separated with no children - entitlements

Options
  • 20-06-2012 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Could anyone let me know what I may be entitled to:

My husband and I are separated (not yet legally).
    I have had cancer
    Work Full Time.
    Own my own house and an apartment.

I am struggling to pay medical bills and also my mortgage.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

TBH you are entitled to nothing you work full time and own a house and apartment, if you can afford to pay bills sell one of your properties or rent it out for extra income, and look at reducing your bills by cutting out luxuries ie sky/upc getting rid of house phone, broadband, switch to energy saving lightbulbs, turn rads off in rooms that are not used and instead of heating put a jumper on

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HealthyJenny

Thanks. Have done all that. Reduced all bills and have rented my apartment, still really struggling.

I believe I may be entitled to a medical card as my medical bill is extremely high every year.

your only allowed apply for a medical card if your earnings are below a certain amount its all means tested

here is a list of the guidelines

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/entitlements/Medical_Cards/mcgpvcguidelines.pdf

you get the form from your local health centre or you apply on line

there is also a thing called a gp card

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/medical_card.html

tbh still dont think your entitled to anything, you have a job, two homes and thats pretty well off tbh reduce your bill further, loose the car and get public transport, stop buying coffee in the morning and bring a packed lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Jenny go see your local community welfare officer, explain your situation they will tell you if any help or relief is available. Hope this helps and you are looked after, you sound like your having an awful time best of luck.

"your only allowed apply for a medical card if your earnings are below a certain amount its all means tested"

Not entirely true. I know people that work in the same company as me and have a higher salary and still got a medical card after cancer. So I know it can be done.

"tbh still dont think your entitled to anything, you have a job, two homes and thats pretty well off tbh reduce your bill further, loose the car and get public transport, stop buying coffee in the morning and bring a packed lunch"

Don't drink Coffee and do bring my own packed lunch as my diet is so strict now, I only eat what I can eat....zero junk.

"Jenny go see your local community welfare officer, explain your situation they will tell you if any help or relief is available. Hope this helps and you are looked after, you sound like your having an awful time best of luck."

Thanks, I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If I was your husband I'd be looking for maintainance from you.

I believe I may be entitled to a medical card as my medical bill is extremely high every year.
    "your only allowed apply for a medical card if your earnings are below a certain amount its all means tested"

Not entirely true. I know people that work in the same company as me and have a higher salary and still got a medical card after cancer. So I know it can be done.

Well you seem to know what your entitled to so why ask the question

Yes medical cards are means tested, each applicant is different and you do not know the situation of your co worker unless they gave your their means test form they filled in for the CWO :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

You can apply online for a medical card at www.medicalcard.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

aujopimur wrote: »
    If I was your husband I'd be looking for maintainance from you.

OP, you should ask your solicitor to look into a maintainance situation for you.
    It will depend on how your situation changed while married.

Def apply for a medical card, support this with a letter form your doctor or consultant. Make sure you are not paying more than €132 for medication per month.

Thank you.

I dont want any maintenance from my ex. Really just want to take whats ours and part. Less stress!

My doctor said she will sign off on a medical card so I will start with that.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement