Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importation of a prize(AEG) from America and how to deal with Customs?

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently won a Facebook competition ran by Elite Force in America with a prize of a re-branded VFC PDW, gun bag and some bb's. From what Ive read the AEG fires at 335FPS.
    My question is: If I cannot get them to downgrade the spring to bring it down below our limit, but they, for example could remove the hop-up unit and barrel OR the gearbox from the gun and send it in the same box, would Customs attempt to fit the parts to fire the AEG to test it if checked or is what Ive suggested technically illegal? The AEG would of course be downgraded before i would use it.

Also, can I get the package sent to my own address or by right should it be sent to a retailer and I collect from there? Would I have to pay VAT and import duty etc on the items as I did not have to pay for them?

Thanks,
    Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

i have had aeg's sent to me in two parts or incomplete (motor removed ect) in different packages. no bothers getting through.
    i dont know if customs will come after you though if its a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭son-of-plunder

Thanks Thermo, Ill see if they will ship it separately but in case they cant/wont, if the items are in the same box would customs refit the parts and test then.? Apologies if these are stupid questions but I never win anything lol and i dont want to get it destroyed or whatever

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

truth be told i dont know if they will fit re-assymble the parts to test it. it they wont down grade it before shipping, you could ask them to drill the cylinder, not an ideal solution but its sure to get through, and you could get a new cylinder (and spring?) fitted once it arrives here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

We import all AEGS with the motors removed and boxed separately in the same delivery.This means they can't be fired in their present state.
    As we understand it, ballistics are not allowed 'work' on the rifle in order to make it fire, so therefore it cannot be crono'd.
    You can then change the spring and reinstall the motor.
    Hope this helps!

Advertisement