Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad to Dole

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone, complete newcomer to any of this so any help with these Qs is appreciated! And I apologise if my questions are a bit all over the place, but I'm finding everything very confusing at the moment! And I know with this stuff its hard to give definite answers, but if you can give me your opinion on the likelihood of everything it'd be great!

I'm currently doing a Masters, exams finished, just doing my thesis now until August! While Im always keeping my eye out for a job to do with my degree, I think its looking like I'll have to go on the dole (not sure if JSA or JSB is the correct term?) and keep an eye out for an internship and build up my cv like that until I get a job! I don't think doing my thesis and working at the same time is a good idea, but I'd consider myself fully available for work from the day I hand my thesis in in August

So my Qs are: *Since Im at a "self-taught" period in my Masters can I apply for the dole now? Im currently supported by my parents but obviously I want to take that pressure off them as soon as possible!

Another thing is that I live down the country, currently living in Dublin for college, and I think I'd increase my chances of finding a job and building up my cv by staying in Dublin rather than moving home - so I'd like to get dole/rent allowance sooner rather than later so that I can stay in Dublin rather than moving back down the country and trying to move up to Dublin again later on - but *are the social welfare folk likely to agree with my reasoning to stay in Dublin and grant me rent allowance?

Finally: Citizens info offices like the one in Dundrum- are they likely to be good to go into for a chat about this kind of thing, or will they just give me leaflets with the info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Anon88 wrote: »
    I'd consider myself fully available for work from the day I hand my thesis in in August

This is when you should sign on in August as in order to qualify for JSA/JSB you need to be available and actively seeking full time work. You will also need to speak to the CWO about rent allowance when you have signed on that will involve explaining how you paid your way doing your degree and masters.

A lot of people work their way through college and masters so it should not be to much of a hardship and might even improve your Thesis with some industry experience.

A visit to the citizens advise would be a good first point of call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you are available for and seeking full-time work whilst writing your thesis, then you can apply for JSA. There is a clause that refers to Masters students. You will need a letter from college stating that you have finished your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies!

Since Im living in Dublin and hoping to stay here, should I go to the social welfare office in Dublin? Or should I go to the one for my family home down the country?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You must go to the office in the area in which you live,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

snubbleste wrote: »
    If you are available for and seeking full-time work whilst writing your thesis, then you can apply for JSA. There is a clause that refers to Masters students. You will need a letter from college stating that you have finished your exams.

Agreed. I was able to claim from April onwards because I finished the teaching parts of my masters.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement