Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting time moving from JSB to JSA

Options
  • 19-06-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm just wondering how long people are waiting to get JSA application process switching from JSB (stamps) to JSA

I gave up a full-time job for a part-time job that i was qualified for in 2011. So the social told me I wasn't entitled to anything as I volunteered to switch to part-time (ok I can understand that).

However I got left go in Feb 2012 and been on JSB since. I've recently been offered 1-days work (just something to keep my mind active really), informed the social and the SWO told me, that if accept the job I will only get one day's JSB as my previous employment history was 2 days per week.

My SWO suggested switching to JSA and complete a means test as I'm under 25 and still living at home. I submitted all the information 6 weeks ago but still didn't hear anything back.

How long are people waiting usually to get JSA when their stamps run out??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Well mine are due to run out nxt week and ive been assured i will be going onto jsa without being without money, i was waiting less than 2wks to be approved (after i sent all my forms etc in)...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Wendydoll I think the info you were given was incorrect or you misunderstood it. If your normal level was 2 days a week there will be a condition on your claim. This means in order to get paid you will only be able to work 1 day a week. If you work 1 day you are then paid 5/6ths of your normal weekly rate.
    If you were to work 2 days then you would receive no payment, unless that is likely to happen you can stay on JSB. The only reason to switch to JSA be to remove the condition (there are no normal levels on JSA) or if your income is low the JSA might pay you more. I would advise you look for more info from your local office.
    As for a time frame for a decision, the means assessment could involve the claim going to the Social Welfare Inspector which could take several weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Hi Sue Ellen,

Thanks for your input, that's exactly why the SWO suggested moving on to JSA instead of my JSB. As far as the social are concerned I would only be down 1 day of work so only entitled to 1 day JSB.

I just can't understand why my means test is taking so long. I don't have over €20,000 worth of savings and only one parent is working, the other isn't getting any type of support. My da's income is less than the guidelines so I can't see why I'm still waiting 6 weeks on.

At the rate its progress I'll be after turning 25 and my parents income won't effect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Hi Wendydoll. That information is incorrect. If you are working less days than your normal level you get paid for the remaining number of days in that week. E.G. Normal level is 2 days per week if you work 2 days then you get no payment. If you work 1 day you get 5 days payment if you work 0 days you get 6 days pay.
    I think you need to contact your office again about what claim type you should be on.
    Are you on full rate JSB of €188 per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    If you are working less days than your normal level you get paid for the remaining number of days in that week. E.G. Normal level is 2 days per week if you work 2 days then you get no payment. If you work 1 day you get 5 days payment if you work 0 days you get 6 days pay.

Ah for feck sake, I'm getting the absolute run around. I spoke to my usual SWO and he told me that I would only get 1 day dole if I worked 1 day. I was confused at the time thinking what happened to the other days. And when I went to ask for more information, I got a different SWO and she told me the same. If I took 1 day I would only be entitled to 1 day JSB and if i took 2 days work I wouldn't be entitled to a penny.

Yeah I'm on full JSB of €188 atm. I'm due to sign on over the next few days so I'll see what's going on. I need it sorted by mid-july.

• Advertisement
Advertisement