Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCI PASS BY COMPENSATION QUESTION

Options
  • 19-06-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Quick question, Ive just got my summer sitting results back, and i've passed all modules except for one...Industrial Relations.Now this exam is a 50-50 module, meaning you must pass both the assignment, and the exam. assignment i passed, the exam i just about failed. just wondering before i go in and see them regarding this, whether or not, i can pass by compensation, as i have a feeling they are going to say a 50-50 module is excluded from this policy. however i've looked through their criteria's for this, and No where does it state that a 50-50 module is exempted so where do i stand on this? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

psalbmb wrote: »
    Quick question, Ive just got my summer sitting results back, and i've passed all modules except for one...Industrial Relations.Now this exam is a 50-50 module, meaning you must pass both the assignment, and the exam. assignment i passed, the exam i just about failed. just wondering before i go in and see them regarding this, whether or not, i can pass by compensation, as i have a feeling they are going to say a 50-50 module is excluded from this policy. however i've looked through their criteria's for this, and No where does it state that a 50-50 module is exempted so where do i stand on this? thanks

Pass by compensation requires an equivalent subject pass from the previous/upcoming semester. If you failed in the range 35-39% then you should be elligible. The decision is at the discretion of the Examination Board. Outside of this its a repeat I'm afraid.

From NCI Website...
    • The pass by compensation range is 35% - 39%.
    • The rule can only be applied if it is your first sitting. Therefore it cannot be applied in a sitting of repeat attempts at passing a module.
    • The rule will NOT apply if ANY of your individual module results is a mark below 35%. In this case all module results below 40% must be repeated.
    • The rule can only be applied if you will PASS overall.
    • The rule can only be applied to a certain number of modules:
    If you are examined in five modules or more in a semester, you may compensate in up to two modules in that semester. If you are examined in less than five modules in a semester, you may compensate in up to one module in that semester.
    • The total number of marks, above the pass mark (40%), gained in the modules passed must at least equal double the difference of the marks being considered for compensation.
    e.g One mark of 36% and one mark of 37% would mean you have a deficiency of 7 marks. Therefore, in order to be considered for compensation you would need a total of 14 marks above the pass mark in the aggregate of the other passed modules.
    • If you have any queries, please consult your Programme Director or the Learner Life Department.

Advertisement