Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army/Gardaí

Options
  • 19-06-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Just a quick question regarding joining the defence forces. I am currently applying to the defence forces and passed my fitness test etc. I'm 18, finished my LC this week.

I really wanted to join the Gardaí but because of the recruitment embargo this has put a halt to that.

Just wondering if joining the defence forces (recruit) would advantage or disadvantage any future possible application for joining the gardaí? While I know when applying to the Gardaí, everything starts again for the application process and everyone has to go through tests etc, but still at the end of the day would they go for someone who was a member of the defence forces v someone who wasn't if it came down to both applicants being in or around the same standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It would certainly stand to you in terms of experience, yes. Also, experience with firearms would come in useful if you ever went for detective/ERU/RSU etc.

Joining the army, depending on your method of entry, can result in a certain minimum period - check this first of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Plenty of ex PDF in the guards. Also, your service in the army counts against your service in AGS for pension and length of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Go college join Garda reserves, heard their recruiting and then join guards full time when done, bonus pay if you have a degree too.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

I know i might get flak for this but personally i think someone who has done a good stint in the DF's would be of more value than a Garda Reserve.

Simply down to an understanding and respect for discipline - training - fitness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

What's the story on joing the MP's, can you join direct from civie street or do you have to have a year or two in the army to become one ? Also does the Reserve have MP's ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

No. You must be in the army for at least 3 years. Then you must apply for and complete a provost course. On successful completion, and if a vacancy arises, you will be promoted to corporal in an MP unit.
    The RDF MPs direct traffic at DF events. You can join them directly. Ideal for people who were bullied at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I do recall then when the upper age limit for joining the Gardai was 27 candidates with PDF service got a decent extension on that , AGS age limit is now 35 so not sure if extensions are still given.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

Just a quick one. The army are provided with financial advice if requested by a professional and private financial advice company based, i think, out in bray;

Does anybody know the name???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Just a quick one. The army are provided with financial advice if requested by a professional and private financial advice company based, i think, out in bray;

Does anybody know the name???

I am not aware of this. Sure anyone can get financial advice from FLAC

Advertisement