Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H Pylori - Diet?

Options
  • 19-06-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there - Im new to this site and am looking for some advice from anyone in the same situation! I was having severe bloating after eating and stomach pains after drinking alcohol. It turns out I have a borderline underactive thyroid and also just been for the cameras up and down and they discovered H Pylori Infection - Im taking the three lots of antibiotics and im STARVING and Tired all the time! I really want to get rid of this bug with the antibiotics & Diet (also looking to lose weight (around 3 stone)

My consultant only told me I had the infection and Ive to return within the month but I wasnt given any advice on foods to eat / avoid - Ive done research on the net but its all conflicting - and VERY restricted! Can anyone help me with this please? THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

The triple therapy (2 antibiotics and a ppi) will sort you out. Most of the dietary advice you'll find online is nonsense.
    The reason you weren't given foods to avoid/eat is because there's no particular advantage of what to avoid/eat when dealing with something like h. pylori (well none that has been scientifically proven).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GrogsIreland

Thanks a mil for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squirestarter

You should do a food intolerance test. The hp likely will have caused some inflammation in your stomach lining and any foods that you are sensitive to will not help the healing process once the hp is gone after the triple therapy

Most people have problems with wheat and dairy in particular so cutting down on these might be an idea...you will feel less bloated.

The food intolerance test will serve as a good guide as to what to cut down on or avoid altogether and you might find the foods are causing as much of the problem as the h pylori itself. At the very least 'trigger' foods will slow down your stomachs healing

Most people have hp, just show no symptoms of it and it causes them no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squirestarter

jtsuited wrote: »
    The reason you weren't given foods to avoid/eat is because there's no particular advantage of what to avoid/eat when dealing with something like h. pylori (well none that has been scientifically proven).

I dont believe this to be true.

When you know what foods casue your system problems, you can cut down on these to speed up the healing process after having HP. Thats why id advise doing a food intolerance test.

Advertisement