Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tumble turning

Options
  • 19-06-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to teach myself to tumble turn

Reasons being, i swim lengths most lunchtimes in a 20 meter pool and i reckon tumble turning would offer a more fluid session than the touch-turn around-kick off thing i'm doing now.

I've looked at a few youtubes and i've dedicated two lunchtimes so far to learning and i seem to be getting places.... slowly. Having a bit of truoble with gadging when i should turn and water up the nose.

Questions i have are, how long does it take to master? and how much value/enjoyment does it add to a swim? Is it worth it? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Tumble turns, like everything else in swimming, take time to master. You just need to practice practice and then some more practice.
    Does it add enjoyment to swimming, hell ya! Makes you swim with more fluid, you will also do each length a bit faster, letting you get more distance in during your lunch swims. Also it looks cool!!

Regarding water up your nose. You need to breath out throught your nose when turning over. I dont mean blow all the air out in one go but slowly. Just enough to prevent water going up. You need to control the air, if you breath out too much, you will have nothing left in the lungs and will dive to the water surface for air. Too little and water will go up, not fun.

Some tips
    • Take a big breath 2 strokes before the turn
    • Start your turn one arm stroke from the wall
    • To begin the turn, pull both arms down by your side and as you begin to rotate, do a butterfly kick. This will force your body over. Breath out during the turn - but not 2 much!
    • When you hit the wall, rotate to the correct orientation, push off
    • Turning the push off, steamline and kick.
    • Surface and off you go
    If it aint working, ask someone else in the pool who turns to look at you (only during the turn!). If that fails, get some lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Cheers mate, what i've decided to do is dedicate one session a week to it until i have it. I'm not impatient, since i've taken up swimming i've realised that the learning curve is very gradual so i don't mind it taking a while.

And yes it does look cool. Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I seem to have a mental block on tubmling. Don't know why but I just can't get it. Even as a kid I couldn't tumble on terra firma and as an adult I can't do it in the water. It's massively frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Also at first when you get to down to a tee, you will find it can take a little bit more energy out of you. But you will get fitter the more you do it...

Also be mindful of any other swimmers behind you when tumble turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

my Main advice would be to not use your upper body to start the turn. Beginners then to use their Abs to push down their upper body. What you need to do is makes sure you continue your arm stroke and get your shoulder to follow it down.Here you tuck your shoulders/Chin in tight to your knees which come up to your face.

best way to practice preventing the air in your nose is to just practice tumbling from a standing position in the middle of the pool while exhaling slowly and consistently

• Advertisement
Advertisement