Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fee Question

Options
  • 19-06-2012 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Say for example a course fee is 2,500 euro...
    is that the total fee or do you pay that each year?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

iMMer5ion wrote: »
    Say for example a course fee is 2,500 euro...
    is that the total fee or do you pay that each year?

I think its each term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

The Student Contribution fee is €2250 each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

fontdor wrote: »
    I think its each term
    Some courses are 9,000, which would make it 36-45,000?? That's hard to believe.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    The Student Contribution fee is €2250 each year

And is the actual course fee annual?

Unless you are an international student, you won't be paying full fees. It's usually the Health Science courses that have the highest tuition fees (around €9500 per year) but that doesn't apply to Irish residents, as they just pay the €2250 contribution and the government covers the rest

• Advertisement

And is the actual course fee annual?
    No the government pays the tuition, you just pay the student contribution (Unless you're an international student)

No the government pays the tuition, you just pay the student contribution (Unless you're an international student)
    So you pay the student contribution each year and you don't pay the course fee at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moonstruck

another question; If you get the grant, even just the quarter grant which is less than 1,000 do you have to pay the fees or is that paid for if you get the grant? :) thanks :)

So you pay the student contribution each year and you don't pay the course fee at all?

Yep. You only pay the €2250.
    Edit: Should also say that colleges add their own small charge on top which goes towards the Student Union and gym/facilities. In Trinity it's around €75 but not sure what it is elsewhere. It'd be €160 max I'd think (I think that's what UCD charges)

moonstruck wrote: »
    another question; If you get the grant, even just the quarter grant which is less than 1,000 do you have to pay the fees or is that paid for if you get the grant? :) thanks :)

As far as I know if you are getting the grant then your student contribution is paid for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Yup. The student contribution last year was €2000 for the first child and €1500 for any subsequent children. This year is €2250 for the first child, not sure if they've announced what subsequent children are yet.

You only pay the course fee if you're not Irish, or if you end up dropping out and reapplying to the CAO for a different course. You get free fees for every year of a course you do, so if you do 2 years of one course, drop out and start another one, you will have to pay fees for the first 2 years of the new course, as you have already gotten a first and second year free.
    moonstruck wrote: »

Look at the box on this page. Every level has the student contribution paid for them. Even if you haven't got your grant fully sorted by the time you start college (they are generally very slow with giving out the money) you can get a letter to bring to the fees office which shows that you are getting the grant and will be getting the student contribution paid for you.
    Edit: Should also say that colleges add their own small charge on top which goes towards the Student Union and gym/facilities. In Trinity it's around €75 but not sure what it is elsewhere. It'd be €160 max I'd think (I think that's what UCD charges)

It can be as high as around €200, it can vary from year to year if they have paid off a building or started a new one. It also covers the free student health unit in some colleges and clubs/societies.

Yep. You only pay the €2250.

I understand! That's a relief! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moonstruck

Look at the box on this page. Every level has the student contribution paid for them. Even if you haven't got your grant fully sorted by the time you start college (they are generally very slow with giving out the money) you can get a letter to bring to the fees office which shows that you are getting the grant and will be getting the student contribution paid for you.

Thanks Queen Of Leon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

When should applications for grants be sent?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

smithy77 wrote: »
    When should applications for grants be sent?:confused:

There's a good thread here in the Student Finances Forum outlining everything to do with the grant application :)

Looks like the applications have opened since June 12th, I'm not entirely sure when the closing date is but its usually in August. You're able to apply even though you haven't been offered a course yet.

If we only pay the Student Contribution Fee and the government pays the Course Fee (eg; €5,000) then why do the colleges show the Course Fees and scare the living daylight out of us by not explaining?

If we only pay the Student Contribution Fee and the government pays the Course Fee (eg; €5,000) then why do the colleges show the Course Fees and scare the living daylight out of us by not explaining?
    We've had free fees for well over a decade now so I guess they assume that students already know.
    Also, I'm not sure of any college that displays the full fees openly on their website under each course, but they show the full course fees when you're paying the contribution because they then invoice the difference between it and the course fee total to the government.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Also the full course fee is paid by international students, and these are usually the ones looking up the fees pages on the websites.

Most Irish students should at this stage know that if they are entering college for the first time they don't pay course fees (as it stands at the moment).

But Irish students undertaking first year for a second time (within a certain time limit) *will* have to the full fees, as QoL said, so they need this info too.

Many colleges break it down, e.g. here.

right so we pay C (the Student Contribution) and B (the Student Levy) and the Government pays the Tuition Fees. I understand now, thanks.

Advertisement