Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long Does It Take To Learn To Be Able To Pass JLPT N5??

Options
  • 19-06-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to learn Japanese and one way of keeping track of my progress is to sit the jlpts once a year if possible.

I would like to sit the n5 test this december but don't know if I have enough time. How long/how many hours would it take too learn a reasonable standard of n5 to be able to pass?

I started Japanese before back in 2009, did some of the kanji and kana, some vocub but left it at that.

Would I be too late to start it up again if I get 10-15 hours a week from now on in say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Hi Gnobe,

I don't know exactly how long it will take, in terms of hours worked, but in my opinion it is possible to prepare for N5 between now and December.

However there is one important point. In order to pass the JLPT you have to specifically prepare for the JLPT. I know people whose Japanese is much better than mine, who thought they could pass the exams on the basis of their general level of competence, and failed. On the other hand, I successfully prepared for the N3, and passed it with a good score, despite the fact that my Japanese is not really up to that level. I am hoping to pull off the same trick with N2 this year.

The JLPT exam is a race against the clock. It is not a test of general competence; it tests only recognition, not reproduction. It has lots of "trick" questions that you will become familiar with through practice. Preparation involves cramming, exam planning (time management) and above all practice.

Anki will help you build the kanji and vocab for N5. You should be able to find and download decks that are specifically designed for N5.

Apart from that you need a grammar textbook that is specifically designed to cover N5, and you need books of mock exam papers that include CDs.

Best of luck,

Dara

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

What Dara said.

For a study book get Genki, it will have the grammar and vocab. I think it migt have a listening CD too.

Maybe try JapanesePod101 for listening, or some other kind of listening practice.

Then get a practice test book, if you can do all of that you will pass. I have used and recommend Gokaku Dekiru (合格できる) there is a book for 4 and 5.

Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Is there any sample papers online by any chance?

Also, while we're on the topic of JLPT - is it possible to skip a level? I haven't sat any of the exams but I plan to in December. However, by then I'll have been learning Japanese for 2 years - 1 and a half of which has been quite intensively in university. Is it possible to just go straight to N4? Obviously I haven't a clue about the standard of the papers yet but just wondering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Konata wrote: »
    Is there any sample papers online by any chance?

Also, while we're on the topic of JLPT - is it possible to skip a level? I haven't sat any of the exams but I plan to in December. However, by then I'll have been learning Japanese for 2 years - 1 and a half of which has been quite intensively in university. Is it possible to just go straight to N4? Obviously I haven't a clue about the standard of the papers yet but just wondering :)

Yes, you can apply for any level you want. No problem to go straight for N4 or whatever you feel is the best level for you.

The official site has sample questions that will give you an idea of the standard at each level:
    http://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/forlearners.html

Advertisement