Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing system possible?

Options
  • 19-06-2012 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Over the last couple of weeks I notice that IE is sluggish, frequently times out on operations and is basically a pain in the ass. I often have to switch to OPERA to open webpages.
    I've cleaned, defragged, deleted.....nothing has changed. I've heard people talk about changing their operating system to Linux -apparantly easier and faster. I know very little about much of this and would be grateful for any advice. Currently I use Windows XP. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I don't think you need to change operating system just your web browser download Firefox or Google Chrome and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What spec is your machine ?

if it has suddenly got slow then check for malware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What OS and how much Ram have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How do you find Opera? Does that timeout too? I use it as my main browser.

If you want to try Linux, get a 'live' CD image, burn to a disc and boot from it, to give it a try without changing your currrent system. Some more recent machines, esp laptops can also boot from a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

^^ what he said :)

I recommend Linux Mint with cinnamon desktop environment for beginners (based on ubuntu, the worlds most popular linux distro, but with all the extras missing from ubuntu installed), download and burn the iso to a dvd or usb, power down your pc, and boot from the disc, youll be able test drive the system with out installing anything,

or alternatively, you can install ubuntu IN windows and take it for a test drive
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

you wont ever look back.... :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement