Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity cash grant of €10.16

Options
  • 18-06-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

OK

So I keep seeing on welfare.ie and citizens info that if you are a medical card holder on the birth of each child you get a cash grant of €10.16 (not a lot I know, but every little helps as they say).

So what I cant find is how to apply for this or whether it is automatic.

Anybody got this?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've never heard of it, do you have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

never heard of it either

nor can i see it on citizens advice can you post the link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• A maternity cash grant of €10.16 on the birth of each child.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/medical_card.html

€10.16 = £8 exactly in old money, so it must be around a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thats one of those allowances that has been around since the seventies. Should be discontinued as it costs way more to administer it than its worth in its present form. This money could be paid in the first payment of Child Benefit instead of the unwieldly way its done at present. Your child could be teething by the time you get it in its current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Thanks for posting the link for me snubbleste.
    Its mentioned here also
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/find_a_service/entitlements/medical_cards/your_guide_to_medical_cards.html

So I'm still none the wiser. Same as everyone else than lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

If my memory serves me right and this is really dredging back to the dark ages, I have the vaguest feeling that the Maternal Cash grant applies to home-birthts and there is even a list of items such as cotton wool and talc that used to be provided but was then replaced by this ridiculous sum of money. Couldn't swear to it but this may be what you have been reading about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There is a home birth grant, but you dont have to have a medical card to get it. Still no wiser!

Advertisement