Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut benefits

Options
  • 18-06-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

This morning I received a letter saying my benefit has run out and I need to reapply for the allowance. Im sub teacher and have been on a casual docket. I'm told this won't change but they want to means test my partner.

I was getting €188 a week. Partner is working and gets €433 gross or €380 after tax.

If we are means tested how much am I likely to be cut? Like everyone else I can ill afford this and it has really gotten to me this morning that we are facing the very real possibility of not being able to afford our rent, bills and food.

Can anyone offer advice? Help? Opinions? I'm in a dreadful panic and I'm terrified we could lose everything.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The weekly cut-off for a couple is €312. If earnings are above this you should get nothing, however you should continue to sign for credits.
    Wrong info given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

LucyBells wrote: »
    This morning I received a letter saying my benefit has run out and I need to reapply for the allowance. Im sub teacher and have been on a casual docket. I'm told this won't change but they want to means test my partner.

I was getting €188 a week. Partner is working and gets €433 gross or €380 after tax.

If we are means tested how much am I likely to be cut? Like everyone else I can ill afford this and it has really gotten to me this morning that we are facing the very real possibility of not being able to afford our rent, bills and food.

Can anyone offer advice? Help? Opinions? I'm in a dreadful panic and I'm terrified we could lose everything.

A quick calculation for you I am taking the gross fig... for means testing prsi is excluded as well as union dues... I am giving you a figure without taking prsi off so it will be €84.00 pw. If you are subbing your earnings will also be assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LucyBells

Not exactly good news there. :(

I'd be better off alone essentially. :(

Thanks for the replies guys, any further advice is appreciated.

btw €84.00 is what you will receive not what will be cut from €188.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

I'm in the same boat, got the letter last week and filled it in online now I got to call in my wifes payslips. she makes about €288-290 per week after tax (shes paid monthly), but for the first 3 months of the year would of been on about €230 per week. anyone any idea how much I'll be getting / how much they cut me by?

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat, got the letter last week and filled it in online now I got to call in my wifes payslips. she makes about €288-290 per week after tax (shes paid monthly), but for the first 3 months of the year would of been on about €230 per week. anyone any idea how much I'll be getting / how much they cut me by?

Its her most recent payslips that the means are calculated on. Its gross less prsi and union dues. Your personal rate and ada come to €312.80 from her wages there is a disregard of €20 per day up to a max of €60 euro (assuming she is working 3 days) take that off her gross then get 60% of that figure and take it from the personal/ada rate and thats what you come out with more or less. Of course if you have any capital>€20000 (this includes property other than your own home) then this will also be assessed.

Advertisement