Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary I Teaching Practice

Options
  • 18-06-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi everyone,

Now, I am WAY ahead of myself because I have not even applied for the post grad yet and it does not start until January 2013 (if it is going ahead) but I have a quick query about the Teaching Practice.

I am from Cork and was hoping (if I am lucky enough to get in) that I would be able to do all my TP in schools in Cork but I understand there is a thing called "Home TP", where students do TP in their local schools.

Is it not possible to do all TP in the county you are from? I rang the school and was only given a "it might be allowed" so I was hoping someone who has been through it could tell me?

Thank you for your time.

I appreciate any response

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Do you know if the new postgrad will be starting in 2013, or is it still the old one?

If it's the old one, you'd more than likely be in Limerick for all of your TPs, and even perhaps Home TP. I know that two years ago some postgrads couldn't go away from Limerick for their Home TP due to the number of students on TP at the time. So I wouldn't bank on being able to do it at home.

They often place students in Cork though, so you could be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 FiveSpice

Could you explain what you mean by new post-grad? If you mean it being extended to 2 years as far as I know that is not until 2014 (but the B.Ed is being extended to 4 years starting this September).

I would have thought they would prefer students to organise their own TPs in different counties as it might be easier to place everyone then. It's not the end of the world if I had to stay in Limerick but I just want to have all the possible knowledge about this course before applying as I hated my undergraduate course.

Thank you for your reply :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

That's what I mean by the new postgrad course, the extended one. The content and structure will be very different I'd say, especially if the B.Ed is anything to go by.

They do place students in their own counties, but that's at the discretion of the TP office. It's called 'outreach'. But the TP office organises it, not you. It wouldn't be fair to those who were placed in Limerick if others got to choose their own school, as it's very likely it would be a school they're familiar with and/or have contacts in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 FiveSpice

I understand what you mean by being unfair on others. There is only one school in Cork that I have contacts in as it is my old primary school and I spent a few weeks there recently. I would be happy with any school in Cork though but I think I'll be so grateful if I get accepted to the course I won't mind where I do it!

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭salmon1

well fivespice,Im thinking about applying for this course myself.I hear the course is quiet hard to get into and im worried about my irish.Does anyone know how many apply for the course and how many they take in?I no its early to be asking these questions but just really want to get into this course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 galwaypenguin

Hi guys are ye still thinking about applying for mary i? I am :)

It's going ahead and will last 18months.

Does anybody know how the TP is broken up? When will it start and how many weeks do we do at a time?

Go raibh míle!

Advertisement