Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPIN 1038 - Proper CHR Radio

Options
  • 18-06-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I don't listen SPIN that much but as of late it has been super. The production gives it a streamlined, sexy feel and the bits of uptempo pop-music, dance music and hits from 2-3 years ago give it the proper CHR feel. Capital FM in the UK need to look at their station as they wonder why KISS in London is getting more listeners recently. Capital: get rid of Howard Ritchie (the 40 something voiceover who sounds too old), play more hits from recent years and dance tunes as well. Like Spin or loathe spin, they deliver proper CHR radio to Dublin and we should be proud of the quality of radio being produced. Am I right or out of my mind? Opinions below!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

no doubt you'll get the usual replies here, "i hate spin, music is ****, for dumb people etc" which, as we all know, should read "it's not my cup of tea but each to their own"

I think you're right though, it serves the majority of young people very well and the imaging, particularly of late is sh/t hot. Don't think i could listen to it all day long mind you, but i always enjoy listening on the way to work (naughty three some is a fine feature) and on the way home too, 10 Spin Hits in the Mix on a Friday, another great shout by the PD or who ever came up with it.

Well done Spin

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan2me

Yeah I agree that SPIN 1038 is quite slick in it's production, and is Sounding brilliant.

As I has said previoulsy it's a pity SPIN SW don't take a leaf out of 1038's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

spin are good at what they do, yes they were a laughing stock when they launched first and for a good while but they have got it right now for their targit audience. and yes the music they play is for simpletons the dum and the dim <snip> . real young people listen to proper dance music. and don't get me started on capital in the UK, once a great station, now a shadow of its former self. kiss all the way for that type of radio.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

spin are good at what they do, yes they were a laughing stock when they launched first and for a good while but they have got it right now for their targit audience. and yes the music they play is for simpletons the dum and the dim <snip> . real young people listen to proper dance music. and don't get me started on capital in the UK, once a great station, now a shadow of its former self. kiss all the way for that type of radio.

So proper dance music has to be non-mainstream, does it? Your generic comment is simply ignorant. If you're outside the target audience, then the music isn't aimed at you :rolleyes:. SPIN play mostly mainstream music which, for the most part, is very good and to which millions of people all over the world listen to.

Fran1985 wrote: »
    no doubt you'll get the usual replies here, "i hate spin, music is ****, for dumb people etc" which, as we all know, should read "it's not my cup of tea but each to their own"

I think you're right though, it serves the majority of young people very well and the imaging, particularly of late is sh/t hot. Don't think i could listen to it all day long mind you, but i always enjoy listening on the way to work (naughty three some is a fine feature) and on the way home too, 10 Spin Hits in the Mix on a Friday, another great shout by the PD or who ever came up with it.

Well done Spin

I agree. The imaging is fantastic and their jingles are excellent and sound very slick indeed.

The Noughty Threesome is a great feature and 10 Spin Hits In The Mix is a great idea to get people in the mood for the weekend, although I would like to see more dance tunes and remixes rather than songs from the playlist in this feature.

However, there are some poor presenters who don't deserve weekday shows IMO like Nikki Hayes and Becki Miller. The superior Paul Bonass is a genuinely good radio presenter yet he just does producing and sound engineering. Hayes's style is extremely condescending and patronising and Miller is just back from her holidays to subject us to her bland and repetitive style. Riyadh Khalaf and Bonass stood in for her and have been superior yet between them, Bonass only has Sunday Breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 Sparklepants!

Spin is great IMO. The imaging is cool, the presenters are quite good and the music, while not my cup of tea mostly, suits it's target audience. Great example of a youth radio station. I wouldn't mind seeing it go national.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to listen to the SPIN 1038 jingles online since Pure Tonic Media merged with Reelworld?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

I think there is something on http://puretonic.com nut it might need a password. The jingles are short, catchy but yet the talk of the town

Do you know exactly where on the website you can find them? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Music wise spin is right on the money, they are akin to capital or z100 certainly for breaking new tracks on air. Their on air talent is an issue though. I like nikki hayes but she has lost her individuality since her 2fm days , not her fault, its simply been formatted out of her by spins heavily formatted radio style and tight links, but at least she sounds natural, Steve K on the other hand doesnt and is probably a tad old to be on the station in the first place. Wouldnt be mad about the zoo crew or becky either , the former always sound too clever for their own good and the latter not natural enough in her delivery. At saying that, its the music that makes the station and they definately have that right, personally i think if they tweaked things they could challenge fm104 which is probably the dullest station in dublin.

• Advertisement

heybaby wrote: »
    Steve K on the other hand doesnt and is probably a tad old to be on the station in the first place.
    if he lost that fake american accent, he would be fine.
    heybaby wrote: »
    personally i think if they tweaked things they could challenge fm104 which is probably the dullest station in dublin.

isn't fm104 not targiting a slightly different demographic then spin? can't see 104 listeners listening to spin or spin listeners listening to 104, but i could be wrong. spin should pitch up the music a little like 104 does, it deffinitly makes the station more exciting having the music pitched up a little. do remember 104 is number 1 in dublin so they mustn't be that dull. in relation to capital in the uk, their audio is possibly the worst i've ever heard from a licenced station, (listen via my tv, my box can receive radio channels) are they using the same processer as fm or the same one as dab to process the audio for tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Spin was always my favourite until may last year and then I switched to 104. The music is good but the sound is awfull and I miss the upbeat vibe of spin where the music never seems to get lower than 128bpm. Great station for the Dublin radio landscape but because of the Strawberies and Adrian Kennedy, FM104 will remain at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamesmcgrath88

I dont live in the Dublin area so I am not is a position to comment on SPIN 1038, I just wanted to defend Capital FM a bit! I listen to the radio a lot, at work and commuting and I keep going back to it, I think Dave Berry and Lisa Snowdon are very entertaining in the morning and the rest of the day is pretty much wall to wall music which I like when I am at work. In my opinion I think Capital FM is great!

I dont live in the Dublin area so I am not is a position to comment on SPIN 1038, I just wanted to defend Capital FM a bit! I listen to the radio a lot, at work and commuting and I keep going back to it, I think Dave Berry and Lisa Snowdon are very entertaining in the morning and the rest of the day is pretty much wall to wall music which I like when I am at work. In my opinion I think Capital FM is great!
    i agree they do have some good presenters, james bar is one of their best, energetic, and he sounds like a cool guy

Advertisement