Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in West London

Options
  • 18-06-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Have to move london direction and looking for some advice on areas.

I will be working out of Egham, Surrey but by all accounts the area is a bit on the quiet side.

Ideally i'd be looking for somewhere that would be within a 30minute (outside of rush hour) commute by car from Egham.
    max rental budget would be 600 per month (including bills) for a doublebed room, but like anything the cheaper the better.
    Really just looking for a decent area that has some nice bars/cafes, close to Egham, decent transport links into the city, where I wont be paying decent money for living in squalor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Ealing is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

Richmond is great. Its on the tube, it has the overground and the park is fantastic.

It has pretty much everything you need - yet central London is not too far away.

Thanks for the response, Richmond seems to be just above my budget unfortunately, I'd be looking for a two bed apartment that would be close to £1000 per month incl bills (I could probably stretch to 1100)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭El Vino

I live in Ealing which is lively enough, look at Twickenham, Kingston, Teddington areas, all should be a bit cheaper than Richmond. First two especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

shoutman wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, Richmond seems to be just above my budget unfortunately, I'd be looking for a two bed apartment that would be close to £1000 per month incl bills (I could probably stretch to 1100)

Two bed apartment for £1k per month including bills is extremely ambitious!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Walshie

I lived in Ealing which was close to the Central line. I found it handy for everything. Not sure on rental prices though

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

Two bed apartment for £1k per month including bills is extremely ambitious!

I'd have to agreed with b/monkey, obviously the further away from central London you are willing to live the price of rental does drop.

Have a look at spareroom.co.uk - use the map function - or use the travel distance section to figure out an area close to your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Ruislip is a lovely spot...

Hey,

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I'm going to view this place on Friday, it seems pretty good to me and at a decent price.

Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭El Vino

i know the road pretty well, have a friend who lives at the western end. It is one road back from one of the busiest railway lines in the UK but I never remember much in the way of noise from the lines when I stayed there. Just listen out when you are there. Half decent pub called the Drayton nearby and handy for Paddington and Heathrow. If you needed to get to Egham by public transport you would be better off in South Ealing or Northfields as you can get a train direct from Brentford, Kew, Chiswick etc. if you are happy to house share consider Chswick as it is a little bit more upmarket. Ealing Trailfinders RFC is walking distance. good club with lots of Irish. Bike is handy but make sure they have storage as bike theft is rampant in London especially Ealing, also check parking restrictions if you have a car.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Ruislip is a lovely spot...

It is lovely there, but very far out. I lived there for a year and was drained from the commute into Central London.

El Vino wrote: »
    i know the road pretty well, have a friend who lives at the western end. It is one road back from one of the busiest railway lines in the UK but I never remember much in the way of noise from the lines when I stayed there. Just listen out when you are there. Half decent pub called the Drayton nearby and handy for Paddington and Heathrow. If you needed to get to Egham by public transport you would be better off in South Ealing or Northfields as you can get a train direct from Brentford, Kew, Chiswick etc. if you are happy to house share consider Chswick as it is a little bit more upmarket. Ealing Trailfinders RFC is walking distance. good club with lots of Irish. Bike is handy but make sure they have storage as bike theft is rampant in London especially Ealing, also check parking restrictions if you have a car.

Thanks for this reply, great information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

What about Fulham / Putney - Decent transport links, handy for Heathrow and plenty of amenities / restaurants etc

Fulham is out of my budget i think and putney is a bit central, so would take too long to get to work in the morning and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Ideally i'd be looking for somewhere that would be within a 30minute (outside of rush hour) commute by car from Egham.
    I would seriously reconsider commuting by car if I were you. Driving in the general London area is not fun.
    Really just looking for a decent area that has some nice bars/cafes, close to Egham, decent transport links into the city, where I wont be paying decent money for living in squalor.
    You don't want to be close to Egham - it's too far out and there's really not much around there.
    Fulham is out of my budget i think...
    I really don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a decent room for less than £600 per month in Fulham.
    ...and putney is a bit central, so would take too long to get to work in the morning and evening.
    Putney/Barnes is only about 35 minutes from Egham on the train? You're not going to do much better than that in London.

thanks for the reply, I work in sales which involves a lot of travel, so i pretty much half to drive by car to egham anyway as invariably i'd be driving on from there.

Also the 600 was inclusive of all bills but still the budget wasnt there to fill, more a "thats my absolute top spend if i found something ridiculously nice".

More opinions on ealing as an area would be appreciated, as im going up today to look at a place in west ealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

thanks for the reply, I work in sales which involves a lot of travel, so i pretty much half to drive by car to egham anyway as invariably i'd be driving on from there.

Also the 600 was inclusive of all bills but still the budget wasnt there to fill, more a "thats my absolute top spend if i found something ridiculously nice".

More opinions on ealing as an area would be appreciated, as im going up today to look at a place in west ealing.

Lived in Ealing a few yrs ago. It's a nice spot, if a little far from Central London - this won't really bother you for now, as you're working in Egham. Ealing has lots of parks and green spaces - in a city, that's important. By car you can be out of London in 30 mins at the weekend - that was really important for me - to be able to get out and go for nice walk in the countryside - lunch in a country pub etc etc. Even places like Bath etc are not too far away.

Your location is nice and central - but realtively quiet. W Ealing High St is not spectacular, but you've got a Waitrose very closse by and Ealing Broadway is no distance.

In rush hour, how long will it take to get to Egham? You may find that you'd have early starts, even though you're going out of town and against the general commute - still, you don't want to live too far out either.

If the price, house and housse-mates are good, then you might seriously consider it - I certainly can't think of any reasonnot to live in Ealing.

if I had to go back to London, I'd certainly go there first.

Best of luck!

blindsider wrote: »

Lived in Ealing a few yrs ago. It's a nice spot, if a little far from Central London - this won't really bother you for now, as you're working in Egham. Ealing has lots of parks and green spaces - in a city, that's important. By car you can be out of London in 30 mins at the weekend - that was really important for me - to be able to get out and go for nice walk in the countryside - lunch in a country pub etc etc. Even places like Bath etc are not too far away.

Your location is nice and central - but realtively quiet. W Ealing High St is not spectacular, but you've got a Waitrose very closse by and Ealing Broadway is no distance.

In rush hour, how long will it take to get to Egham? You may find that you'd have early starts, even though you're going out of town and against the general commute - still, you don't want to live too far out either.

If the price, house and housse-mates are good, then you might seriously consider it - I certainly can't think of any reasonnot to live in Ealing.

if I had to go back to London, I'd certainly go there first.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply house was an absolute dud, but area seemed alright I'll keep looking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Thanks for the reply house was an absolute dud...
    It's been said already, but you really need to bear in mind that it’s asking a lot to cover rent, bills and council tax with £600 per month in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

600+ pm including bills for a doublebed in Ealing (esp near the broadway) would be very difficult. Maybe in a shared house with 4+ bedrooms nearer the West Ealing end it might just be do-able. Otherwise moving further out to zone 4 you might get more for your money.

Ealing (I live there) is in a great location for getting to the Airport quickly btw. Only 22mins on the heathrow connect to Terminal 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joncol

Wimbledon is a real nice area and you can escape the dreaded tube commute!!!

They have a brilliant overground rail service that gets you into the city in 15 mins.

The area itself is a pit posh but not overly so that it prices people out of renting there. Lots of young people house share there. The Village of Wimbledon has all the usual British high street stores, a cinema and loads of pubs, clubs, restaurants etc.

Advertisement