Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest relief when renting out home?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I just wonder if I am missing something:

I'm thinking of renting out my home on which I still have a hefty mortgage. A number of people on different threads have pointed out that you lose your mortgage interest relief (TRS) in that event. But why is this so relevant? Surely you can then put your mortgage interest down as an expense against the rental income? Or am I wrong? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

cjbored wrote: »
    I just wonder if I am missing something:

I'm thinking of renting out my home on which I still have a hefty mortgage. A number of people on different threads have pointed out that you lose your mortgage interest relief (TRS) in that event. But why is this so relevant? Surely you can then put your mortgage interest down as an expense against the rental income? Or am I wrong? Thank you.

It's only 75% of the yearly interst you can claim as an expense. It's allowable against rental income only.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cjbored

Thank you.

Advertisement