Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allownace/Rent Review

Options
  • 18-06-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All

Looking for some advice or maybe I wont want it!
    My lease is up next month 22/7 and have not heard anything about a rent review. I am very very happy in the house I am in and the area. There are very very few other houses to rent in the area.

Should I sign another 12 month lease?
    Should I call in to CWO?

This is worrying me sick, not sure what to do.

If it matters, 56 yr old single male on Disability Allowance and am on County Council Housing List.

Thanks

Sam

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Check your area for the current max rent level in that area. If your rent is at or below that amount then you most likely won't get a rent review from the cwo. However come budget time it may affect you.

My current place when I moved in was €200 below the max county limit. This was shortened in the last budget but it still €140 below the limit and not heard a word about it.

Edit:

forgot to post link with rates.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You're not obliged to approach your CWO when renewing your lease and are free to renew the lease, provided that terms are the same.

However, if your rent is currently above the new limits, then it may be a good idea to try and renegoitate your rent downwards to under the limit. You are under no obligation to do so if you have not been asked to, but if you sign a 12 month lease and your rent supplement is reviewed (which it invariably will be), you will be asked to bring your rent down to below the limits by your CWO anyway, and if your landord does not agree, you may be asked to terminate your tenancy early and move to cheaper accommodation.

This could result in you being liable for remaining rent and/or losing your deposit, both points you can raise with your CWO in trying to persuade him to let you stay in the property, even temporarily, but you would save yourself the hassle and the stress if you managed to negotiate your rent downwards to below the limit before you are asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭struggling sam

My rent is €35.00 above the limit, wont be easy to get it down as there are so few properties to rent here.

In the event of signing a new lease for the old amount, I find it strange that the government could even suggest you break a valid contract.

And now we all must pay for the lack of local authority housing new builds during the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭struggling sam

Yawns & Lugh thanks for your help!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Unfortunately it would be unwise to sign a new lease when you are above the limit as you know well that will just happen to be perfect timing for them to come looking for you to reduce your rent.

Just try to have a conversation with the landlord and ask him that when the time comes can he agree then on the lower limit. That way if you do get a letter looking to have your rent reduced, then he can agree but in the meantime he will get the higher amount until it happens. It could happen this week or next year. It can be random in some cases. You will still be paying your own same contribution regardless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement