Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Sorting Issue

Options
  • 18-06-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem I have:

I have an excel sheet as follows:

Code | Reference
    A1 Some Text
    A143 Some Text
    A2 Some Text
    A123 Some Text

I want to sort these based on there numeric value, so it would be:

Code | Reference
    A1 Some Text
    A2 Some Text
    A123 Some Text
    A143 Some Text

However when I sort, it sorts like this:

Code | Reference
    A1 Some Text
    A123 Some Text
    A143 Some Text
    A2 Some Text

Is there a way for me to sort so I get the result in the second example?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

You need to make sure the Codes (A1, A13 etc.) are formatted as Text:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322067

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Insert a new column in between the existing two. Then select column A and go to "Text to Columns"*

Choose "fixed width" and then insert the column break between the letter and the numbers (as in the screenshot).

Now you can sort the data based on the second column and it will be numerical.

209331.png

*In excel 2007, this is in the "Data" tab. In Excel 2003, afaik this is under the "Data" menu, though I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

doyler442 wrote: »
    Hi

I want to sort these based on there numeric value, so it would be:

Code | Reference
    A1 Some Text
    A2 Some Text
    A123 Some Text
    A143 Some Text

Cheers

if you add an extra column at the start and add the formula "=Len(A1)" where A1 is the Code cell......then if you sort by the new column and by the Code column (in that order), you MAY get what you need.

basically, it will sort by the length , so anything that is just one character long will appear as A-Z, then two characters will be A1, then A2 etc etc etc...then after Z9, it will revert to A11

It works in the small example you showed above and i think the logic is right, but ya never know!!!! :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Or assuming that the value will always be after the first character (i.e. not longer than 1), you could put this formula in the 3rd column, which will pull out just the number on which you could sort

=RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-1)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Thanks for the very quick replies, I'll have a look at these when I get a chance in awhile.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement