Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone looking for birth/death/marriage certificate? please read

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

AH ====> Bargain Alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

why did you contact the NCA and ombudsman?

the company is providing a service,
    if people are silly enough to use the third party
    then thats their fault but its not illegal or misleading.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Not really a Bargain Alert but thanks for letting me know. I will avoid as i am currently in the pprocess of doing that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Nice username OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

chancer007 wrote: »
    you can get the exact same document for €11 from hse.ie/lifeevents...
    Or €10 from the General Register Office url]http://www.groireland.ie/fees.htm[/url.

Note also the option for getting photocopies of register entries for €6. Useful if your interest is genealogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Ah fleck
    I thought 30 was standard, just got my wedding licence, and I know two others who did too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not really a Bargain Alert but thanks for letting me know. I will avoid as i am currently in the pprocess of doing that .

Yeh, more a consumer issue

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭chancer007

becuase I felt like it :)

I asked the NCA to check if its misleading or not,as is my right,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

No idea where my birth cert is. Thought it would cost alot more than this to get a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭daheff

groom wrote: »
    Ni idea where my birth cert is. Thought it would cost alot more than this to get a replacement

The thing about this is that they scanned (Well for mine anyways) the original entry in the birth cert book and put it into the new format. Looks ok, but if the original entry wasn't neatly put in the book (off the lines or out of the scanning area, the new printout wont look correct. Mine was a bit all over the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Thujrog

They describe themselves on the main page of the site as "Ireland's Government funded Irish-Certificate's (also known as Irish certs) Service". To my mind this is borderline. Perhaps the company has received some government funding, but the wording implies something stronger. Although the sorry state of the website suggests that it is not an official government website. :D

I come across companies like this all the time in other areas. They certainly don't go out of their way to make it clear that they are a private company. They have a name and logo that is easily confused with that of a legitimate government agency.

Surprisingly the claim on the website that they won an IIA award in 2009 seems to be true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I would never have used such a website for such sensitive information.
    For something like this I'd rely on old-fashioned snail mail and the tender caring touch or pop into an office.

Thujrog wrote: »
    They describe themselves on the main page of the site as "Ireland's Government funded Irish-Certificate's (also known as Irish certs) Service". To my mind this is borderline. Perhaps the company has received some government funding, but the wording implies something stronger.
    Plus the use of a harp (admittedly not identical with the official emblem, but a harp nevertheless) accompanied by the words "All certificates are official documents issued with the Irish Goverment Harp seal".
    Although the sorry state of the website suggests that it is not an official government website. :D
    I wish that were true!

snubbleste wrote: »
    I would never have used such a website for such sensitive information.
    In Ireland, births, marriages, and deaths are public records. You can find an online index. If you gave me your name, told me what part of the country you were born in, and when, I could have your birth certificate next week. As a special introductory offer, I'll do it for €25.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah I know that but it still feels odd. To me it is sensitive as someone can use a birth cert to get ID and then another ID....
    Maybe I'm just getting old.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yeah I know that but it still feels odd. To me it is sensitive as someone can use a birth cert to get ID and then another ID....
    Maybe I'm just getting old.
    Send me two pictures, and I'll get you a new passport in another name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

chancer007 wrote: »
    becuase I felt like it :)

I asked the NCA to check if its misleading or not,as is my right,

god i hate people like you

And WHERE is the Bargain Alert in all this?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

vicwatson wrote: »
    And WHERE is the Bargain Alert in all this?;)

Eur11 instead of Eur30. Wasn't aware of this

Thanks OP

banchang wrote: »
    Eur11 instead of Eur30. Wasn't aware of this

Thanks OP

What??

It costs €11.00 that's the normal price, that's not a bargain, that's the normal price.

Where's the bargain?

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    What??

It costs €11.00 that's the normal price, that's not a bargain, that's the normal price.

Where's the bargain?

Read the thread: the normal price is €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Are there any mods on BA these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Are there any bargains on BA these days?

FTFY

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

In Ireland, births, marriages, and deaths are public records. You can find an online index. If you gave me your name, told me what part of the country you were born in, and when, I could have your birth certificate next week. As a special introductory offer, I'll do it for €25.

What's the link?

Only sites I can find are looking for money.

I presume there's an index of scanned certs around somewhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭chancer007

whats wrong fighting Irish?
    are we not allowed to ask NCA to investigate if the website is misleading or not?
    A few people on this thread have paid €30,too late for them unfortunately.
    & a few other people have commented on the Harp being misleading.
    maybe a few people will read this & save a few €€€

if you dont have anything to contribute,then the less said from you the better

I agree with some people,should be moved to the consumer issue forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

It's not a Bargain Alert - it's a Rip Off Alert.

Perhaps there should be a sister forum for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Think the life is gone from this thread.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement