Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucharistic congress specials - Cork, Limerick etc via PPT to Connolly and beyond

Options
  • 17-06-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have an idea on the loadings of these services & the type of stock used? Would be surprised if any of the MKIVs graced Connolly.

Good to see the tunnel get a bit of passenger use - shame that it isn't a more regular occurrence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Cork and Waterford were sold out but Limerick was not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I wonder were all the old fogies able to use their free travel passes? Sickened me when I saw IE were willing to accommodate a bunch of religious zealots, most of whom would be traveling for free but would not put on excursion trains and charge €35 - €40 return for last years All-Ireland final between Kerry and Dublin. Using taxpayers money to subsidize the Catholic church is fine it seems but would not lay on decent, affordable public transport to the biggest sporting event of the year which involved the county farthest away from Dublin and most in need of public transport to the capital on the day. I drove to Dublin last costing me €90 in fuel (€22.50 split x 4) as €300 for 4 train tickets was a sick joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Actually that's an interesting if crudely made point - do SW passes work on specials? Surely that's outwith the terms of their PSO agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

It would appear not.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/freetravel.aspx
    3.7 WHEN IS FREE TRAVEL NOT AVAILABLE?

Free Travel is not available

on services which are not listed in the official rail and bus time-tables of Bus Atha Cliath, Bus Eireann or Iarnrod Eireann
    on excursion and special bus or rail services
    on organised group journeys
    on Bus Atha Cliath NITELINK services
    on Bus Atha Cliath special Airport services
    on First Class or Super Class travel on any service (unless the appropriate fare supplement is paid)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stinicker wrote: »
    I wonder were all the old fogies able to use their free travel passes? Sickened me when I saw IE were willing to accommodate a bunch of religious zealots, most of whom would be traveling for free but would not put on excursion trains and charge €35 - €40 return for last years All-Ireland final between Kerry and Dublin. Using taxpayers money to subsidize the Catholic church is fine it seems but would not lay on decent, affordable public transport to the biggest sporting event of the year which involved the county farthest away from Dublin and most in need of public transport to the capital on the day. I drove to Dublin last costing me €90 in fuel (€22.50 split x 4) as €300 for 4 train tickets was a sick joke.

I disagree. Quite a few special services were proposed, but several of them were cancelled as there wasn't enough take-up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Victor wrote: »
    I disagree. Quite a few special services were proposed, but several of them were cancelled as there wasn't enough take-up.

Yeah, and the reason for lack of take up? €75 a ticket, thats why. Special excursion services should be ran at an affordable cost for the people as a public service to prevent traffic build ups, as public transport and all the environmental and social benefits it brings. I can fly with Ryanair to most European capitals for less than the cost of taking the train to Ireland's capital Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yeah, and the reason for lack of take up? €75 a ticket, thats why. Special excursion services should be ran at an affordable cost for the people as a public service
    Yerra make the whole thing free instead. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There was a big crowd waiting on the Cloyne Diocese train from Connolly Station. There was also 22k set going from Connolly to Limerick. I had also seen a 22k on a special to Waterford as I was going back to Connolly.

I had no choice but to take the train rather than the bus because they were all full.

Advertisement