Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Drastic restructuring" of 2fm on the way according to the Sindo

Options
  • 17-06-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭

This is along with a raft of cost cutting measures at RTE. Some of the perks and benefits that rte staff get from reading the piece is amazing.

So baz and lucy are already out the doras at the end of the month, but what other staff either on air or otherwise may be be left go to make the savings it needs ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

They are also planning to "reposition" Lyric FM, I have no idea what that means but it doesn't sound good. "Official RTE sources" do tend to specialize in their own brand of unintelligible management speak, or waffle.

It is also planned to 'reposition' theor RTE Guide and Lyric FM so as to target new audiences, which may mean taking a more populist approach -- though critics might suggest this may lead to a "dumbing down" of content.
    Most TV magazines are now mass market and dominated by coverage of the soaps.
    There is also a projected 'drastic restructuring' of 2FM radio.
    However, an official RTE source stressed: "The definition of repositioning has been misunderstood. Staff have been reassured that the basic content of their stations will not change. Lyric FM remains a core classical music service, although obviously one facing significant cost challenges."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Hooked on Classics" format one presumes. I don't listen to Lyric, do they play many complete symphonic works?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,169 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SBP has detail on this also. Suggestion that they've been told to plan for life with Tubridy on 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I actually like baz and Lucy. Can't stand that other woman who is on a Saturday about 12 or so and talks about sport. I wish they would say Cheerio to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭squonk

That'd be ballbusters. I'm not a big sports fan and I consider that show a waste of space. I used to like Will Leahy on the Saturday and Eamonn the Sports Guy. If you weren't a sports head it was a bit of fun and I presume if you were a sports head you still got your fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Today's Mail has more or less the same story. Radio 1's schedule is going to be trimmed, no details given though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

It could at last be the time to let Larry go home. He has served a good time there, it is now time to let him go. A lovely man, but long overdue to go home.
    Get rid of that eejit from Navan, he'd be better suited to mucking out stables, rather than annoying everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This is along with a raft of cost cutting measures at RTE. Some of the perks and benefits that rte staff get from reading the piece is amazing.

So baz and lucy are already out the doras at the end of the month, but what other staff either on air or otherwise may be be left go to make the savings it needs ?

Such as? I don't buy the Sindo since I got rid of the coal fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

Plowman wrote: »
    Hopefully RTÉ will give Tubridy's 2FM show the axe. He has very little charisma or presence on radio.

Has everybody (including RTE management) forgotten how well Tubridy did on 'The Full Irish' Breakfast show some years back, or is my memory playing tricks on me. He should never have been let go to Radio 1. He reversed a downward trend in ratings in that timeslot and was a real (and superior imo) alternative to Dempsey.

Agreed, in his current role, he doesn't entertain.

• Advertisement

RTE management are also said to be planning restrictions in a range of work practises regarded as outmoded and expensive, such as having technical crews on constant standby, as well as cutting a range of lucrative staff allowances.
    Many work practises in RTE date from the days of heavily unionised demarcation and manning, with expensive overtime for crews working through lunchtime or beyond midnight.
    It is understood that a so-called '13-point roster' exists to maintain these rights. There is also the anomaly of the senior editors and producers in Radio na Gaeltachta and TG4 being paid at the same levels as their much busier counterparts in RTE TV in Dublin, an equality explained by the public-sector origins of RTE, which meant treating all its subsidiary sections or departments in the same way, and with the same pay levels.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/major-reform-at-rte-to-cut-costs-includes-consolidating-irish-services-3140478.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

That's Craig Doyle sorted... Well according to Après Match...

In all honesty it needs a miracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Surely these changes will effect more than 2fm in RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭squonk

MJ23 wrote: »
    It could at last be the time to let Larry go home. He has served a good time there, it is now time to let him go. A lovely man, but long overdue to go home.
    Get rid of that eejit from Navan, he'd be better suited to mucking out stables, rather than annoying everyone.

Larry is the least of the problems at 2FM. Larry is in the same league as Brendan Balfe, i.e. a complete legend and damn good at what he does. He's only on for an hour and his golden oldies might not appeal to everybody but if you're in your 30's or can add some VAT to that, then it's a chance to hear the sort of radio that you don't get too often anymore. He's one of the things that makes 2FM an asset I think. Long may he broadcast as far as I'm concerned. Hector, Tubbs, Baz & Lucy, Paddy & Ruth, Will Leahy; these are some of 2FM's bigger problems. Perhaps if they had an ultra strong line up it might look like it was time to move Larry to Lyric or Radio 1 but right now it's one of the few hours in the day that 2FM would get my listenership.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Baz and Lucy are possibly the worst radio program they have ever put on 2fm I can't stand there fake put on Posh accents, Terrible. I for one will be looking forward to listening now again on a Saturday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

many of 2 fm's programmes which are basically music programmes have 2 presenters talking absolute drivel to each other ,get rid of one and just play the music . They should play more classic rock , tell us the name of the track and a something interesting about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

EchoO wrote: »
    RTE management are also said to be planning restrictions in a range of work practises regarded as outmoded and expensive, such as having technical crews on constant standby, as well as cutting a range of lucrative staff allowances.
    Many work practises in RTE date from the days of heavily unionised demarcation and manning, with expensive overtime for crews working through lunchtime or beyond midnight.
    It is understood that a so-called '13-point roster' exists to maintain these rights. There is also the anomaly of the senior editors and producers in Radio na Gaeltachta and TG4 being paid at the same levels as their much busier counterparts in RTE TV in Dublin, an equality explained by the public-sector origins of RTE, which meant treating all its subsidiary sections or departments in the same way, and with the same pay levels.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-3140478.html

Of course, its not O Reilly's rag anymore now is it.

Not so along ago....

newstalk.jpg

Who needs Media plurality. It would only get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,312 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

00benski wrote: »
    Baz and Lucy are possibly the worst radio program they have ever put on 2fm I can't stand there fake put on Posh accents, Terrible. I for one will be looking forward to listening now again on a Saturday morning :)

It is admirable that they tried to run their show without a producer, but at the same time there were cringe-worthy moments...the awkward silences as they couldn't decide who should push which button.

Maxi presented and produced 'Rising Time' herself with no problems, to my knowledge.

Advertisement