Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation and Monthly Expense

Options
  • 17-06-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey Guys sorry for opening a new thread. I am registered to UL for 12/13 year as a masters student. Since i dont know much about Ireland i wanted to consult you. First of all what is the cheapest way of accomodation? Secondly how much would a student spend average per month?
    Your help is much appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

I'm paying roughly 270 a month not counting electricity which is fairly good I think.
    It depends on what conditions you want to live in tho!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 djbraveheart

lol i know ireland has 2 relligions as Shaw said... Catholicsm and Alcoholism but im not good with alcohol lol just simple entertaintments, food, accomodation, bills etc

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

The cheap method:(Elm Park) Rent was 140 for the month and 20 euro on top of that for bills and such.We got bout 300 euro worth of heating for the year between us so that was (140*9 +60) 1320 for the year for rent,bills and heating. Bearing in mind it was colder inside the house then outside. Like inviting more people to the house just so it would warm up because of more body heat was the norm. You can avoid paying the tv license guy by just not answering the door. As far as food is concerned, Lidl or aldi is ur best bet. Also four seasons pizza do a 9 inch pizza with two toppings and coke for a fiver . You could spend 25 euro a week on good or maybe a bit less and live comfortably. If you want to eat out its going to be more expensive. You can get dinner in the paddocks or the stables ( campus restaurants ) for between 5 and 7 euro every day. The paddocks do a membership deal where you if you get 10 dinners you get the 11th free so if ur going to eat out it might be worth going there. If you are looking to get a lot of studying done i would recommend the library and not elm park :pac:

The expensive method: Thomond campus accommodation was bout 4500 for the year. Big step up from elm park with the en suite and comfy double bed. The house had a balcony as well which was handy. Bout a ten minute walk from campus but there was an annoying bridge which you have to walk over every morning but thats just being picky.Close to lectures, campus resturants and bars and good place to study. Big desk and its quite enough !

eoins23456 wrote: »
    The cheap method:(Elm Park) Rent was 140 for the month and 20 euro on top of that for bills and such.We got bout 300 euro worth of heating for the year between us so that was (140*9 +60) 1320 for the year for rent,bills and heating. Bearing in mind it was colder inside the house then outside. Like inviting more people to the house just so it would warm up because of more body heat was the norm. You can avoid paying the tv license guy by just not answering the door. As far as food is concerned, Lidl or aldi is ur best bet. Also four seasons pizza do a 9 inch pizza with two toppings and coke for a fiver . You could spend 25 euro a week on good or maybe a bit less and live comfortably. If you want to eat out its going to be more expensive. You can get dinner in the paddocks or the stables ( campus restaurants ) for between 5 and 7 euro every day. The paddocks do a membership deal where you if you get 10 dinners you get the 11th free so if ur going to eat out it might be worth going there. If you are looking to get a lot of studying done i would recommend the library and not elm park :pac:

The expensive method: Thomond campus accommodation was bout 4500 for the year. Big step up from elm park with the en suite and comfy double bed. The house had a balcony as well which was handy. Bout a ten minute walk from campus but there was an annoying bridge which you have to walk over every morning but thats just being picky.Close to lectures, campus resturants and bars and good place to study. Big desk and its quite enough !
    4500 is quite expensive for accomodation though. dont you think off campus room rent would be better option for me? but the thing im worried is i dont know anybody there so it would be difficult to get along with people i dont know at the same house. since u are experienced about it, i would like to consult you

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Off campus is definitely the best place price wise.Didnt mean the sad face beside the cheap method, elm park was great craic.
    There's a site www.daft.ie which has a high percent of the houses available for rent in ireland .
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1209344 this place is 70 a week for da year. Cheaper then on campus
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1207324 this is 60 a week f
    or a room

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=ct5&s[a_id]=3707&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=600&s[mnb]=&s[mxb]=&s[pt_id]=&search=1&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&search_type=rental just have a look at a few pages there to see can ya find anything. Its going to be like that on campus as well, living with people you dont know/potentially mightnt get on with.

There is an international society which you could join, you would get to know a load of people through that. Also there is an international buddy thing starting this year which assigns an irish buddy to you ,shows you around, answers any questions you might have and could invite you to a gathering or two so you get to know people!

• Advertisement

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Off campus is definitely the best place price wise.Didnt mean the sad face beside the cheap method, elm park was great craic.
    There's a site www.daft.ie which has a high percent of the houses available for rent in ireland .
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1209344 this place is 70 a week for da year. Cheaper then on campus
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1207324 this is 60 a week f
    or a room

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=ct5&s[a_id]=3707&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=600&s[mnb]=&s[mxb]=&s[pt_id]=&search=1&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&search_type=rental just have a look at a few pages there to see can ya find anything. Its going to be like that on campus as well, living with people you dont know/potentially mightnt get on with.

There is an international society which you could join, you would get to know a load of people through that. Also there is an international buddy thing starting this year which assigns an irish buddy to you ,shows you around, answers any questions you might have and could invite you to a gathering or two so you get to know people!
    thank u a lot bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Currently paying about 240 a month bills inclusive (Briarfield), the house gets cold in the winter though. About 15-20 a week does me fine for food and other things but I don't really spend a lot on entertainment so probably a little more for you. Shopping wise, Lidl/Aldi/Dunnes is your friend and Superquinn okay for a few extras but more expensive. The odd expense for bus trips to the city, 1.70 one way if I recall but there is a cheaper one for 1.20 that goes less frequently. I never eat out if I can help it, just so much cheaper to buy and prepare food at home, but I'm near to the college so that suits me fine to walk home after classes to eat.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Currently paying about 240 a month bills inclusive (Briarfield), the house gets cold in the winter though. About 15-20 a week does me fine for food and other things but I don't really spend a lot on entertainment so probably a little more for you. Shopping wise, Lidl/Aldi/Dunnes is your friend and Superquinn okay for a few extras but more expensive. The odd expense for bus trips to the city, 1.70 one way if I recall but there is a cheaper one for 1.20 that goes less frequently. I never eat out if I can help it, just so much cheaper to buy and prepare food at home, but I'm near to the college so that suits me fine to walk home after classes to eat.

Are you also an international student or irish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Are you also an international student or irish ?
    Irish. I lived with some International students last semester, was a blast :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Racist nonsense (and responses) removed.

I'm closing this thread OP.
    Looks like you won't find what you're looking for here.

Move on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement