Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JBA question

Options
  • 17-06-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

just a quick question about JSA, its a messy situation so bare with me. I've applied to JSA about 2 weeks ago but i've just recieved my Canadian Visa (which i didnt think i was getting...long story) and am now leaving at the start of July. Chances are i probably won't recieve my JSA before then. My question is am i legally entittled to that money up until the date i leave the country, can i get a family member to prove that I've left the country on a certain date and have them collect what is owed to me or does it have to be me that signs on and collects from post office.

Thanks
    Derek

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

When you sign off before you leave for Canada ask them to put your back money into your bank acc,or post out a cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 del03

Thanks for the the reply, but the thing is i haven't even signed on yet, I'm still in the waiting process, usually takes 4-8 weeks. And when you do receive JSA you get it backdated from when you first applied. But if I've left the country before the first signing on am i stuck or am i still entitled to the backdated money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You have said that you applied for JSA 2 weeks ago.That date (2weeks ago)is the date that your payment will be backdated to.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Back money is usually paid by way of a cheque which is posted out about 2 weeks after you are granted the payment. In your case you when they write to you they will tell you where and when to sign on, if you don't turn up that first time I doubt your claim will be be activated so you may not get your backmoney. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Contact your local office and inform them of when you are going. Assuming you don't need to see a Social Welfare Inspector then you should get your backdated money up until the day before you go. Request the payment to be made by cheque and then someone can lodged the payment for you. It is unlikely they will pay it into the bank for you.
    If you need to see a Social Welfare Inspector and you don't get to see them before you go, you will most likely not get a payment as you will have failed to attend and the claim will be closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement