Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice need help/advice!!

Options
  • 17-06-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi i am a 25 year old apprentice cabinet maker. I have completed all my Phases of fas but are short nearly 30 weeks "work experience" to complete the required 208 weeks to qualify. I lost my job in february in a joinery restoring sash windows, due to lack of work. I have asked fas adviser could i work for no money with an employer but she said they couldn't allow that. :mad: She also said it has to be a qualified cabinet maker training me. I have sent cv's and gone to joinerys and kitchen companies but majority have very little work. I then sent a form to main fas headquarters detailing the experience i have but they rejected that due to lack of weeks!!:confused: Fas adviser is extremely difficult to get and not helpful.

Are there any other ways to qualify, short courses etc.!?

Any other apprentices in same situation?

very fed up but trying to stay positive.

thanks pacman25.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

There was an apprentice with my old boss and was left go with about 3 months before his time was up so fas sent him on different courses to make up the rest of his time I can't remember what courses he done but I would definitely ask the fas adviser could you go down this route

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pacman25

thanks i'll contact my adviser and see what she says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

if you could identify an employer and ask them to set up a jobs bridge for you? dont have a clue if its possible... but it would give you the time you need and give the employer cheap labour for a limited period of time with no obligations... worth investigating..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

I am a Carpentry subcontractor , my advise to you is ask Fas to place you on the Redundant apprentice palcement scheme 2012 .
    I have apprentices on this scheme and will not be hireing apprentices as i can get require them on this scheme .

Also other employers will not hire due to the scheme in process .
    I feel your pain , as you have to be paying tax to make up the time on the prsi scheme , for your own shake do not go to a contractor and try and forge unworked weeks as they have contacts with revenue and to checks , there would be red faces all round . There is allso a scheme in Limerick for carpenters to fill a certain gap of lost time im not sure about cabinet making .

Hope this helps you , best of luck , and last word of advise finish your time out get your papers and imagrated and get better experience aborad for your cv :)

Teepee

Advertisement