Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best value iphone....sim only or contract + free phone??

Options
  • 16-06-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am on an 18 month contract with Meteor and have a HTC Desire.
    (200mins, 200texts & 1gig data. I never get anywhere near using all the minutes ir texts but I often end up having to pay more for my data use)

I am thinking of getting a new iphone when my contract runs out in a month or so. And I want to get a plan that gives me more data.
    It's all a bit of a maze for me trying to figure out how to get the best deal.

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions or advice????

a) do you think I would be better off trying to pick up an (unlocked) iphone on ebay or something like that and then looking for a sim only package? And if so any ideas who is offering the best deals on that at the moment?

b) or should I go for some sort of a contract that gives me a free phone but locks me into their price plan for 18month-2yrs?
    (I guess there are obvious benefits getting it from a shop here if anything goes wrong with the phone!)
    If so any ideas who is offering the best deals on this option at the moment?

From my research 3 seem to be the best & also have unlimited data....but I have to say I'm finding the comparisons a bit confusing!!

All help much appreciated! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 corbomite1

magbf wrote: »
    I am on an 18 month contract with Meteor and have a HTC Desire.
    (200mins, 200texts & 1gig data. I never get anywhere near using all the minutes ir texts but I often end up having to pay more for my data use)

I am thinking of getting a new iphone when my contract runs out in a month or so. And I want to get a plan that gives me more data.
    It's all a bit of a maze for me trying to figure out how to get the best deal.

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions or advice????

a) do you think I would be better off trying to pick up an (unlocked) iphone on ebay or something like that and then looking for a sim only package? And if so any ideas who is offering the best deals on that at the moment?

b) or should I go for some sort of a contract that gives me a free phone but locks me into their price plan for 18month-2yrs?
    (I guess there are obvious benefits getting it from a shop here if anything goes wrong with the phone!)
    If so any ideas who is offering the best deals on this option at the moment?

From my research 3 seem to be the best & also have unlimited data....but I have to say I'm finding the comparisons a bit confusing!!

All help much appreciated! :-)

If your contract is up soon, Meteor direct sales will probably get in touch with you in the near future and make you a good offer to keep you as a customer. My 18 month contract was up in May and they called offering me a 2 year contract with free iPhone 4S (16GB), 5GB monthly allowance with 200 minutes and 200 texts for €45. I'm happy with Meteor so I took the offer. They were flexible and said I could have a different phone (e.g. Samsung Galaxy) if I preferred - I stuck with the iPhone as I haven't owned one before. I only heard about the 3 package afterwards which seems like a very good deal also - marginally smaller tariff and unlimited data.

Hope this helps 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

you may also find interest in the emobile offer mentioned in another thread here.. esentially same network, 35 euro for unlimited everything afaik. phone will probably cost a bit though..
    if its data u want. three or emobile seem the best offers..
    meteor next.
    htc desire is a grand phone. had mine 2 years also, upgraded to the s3 and its a lovely phone but the desire was just as snappy, only major flaw was batterylife

• Registered Users Posts: 14 magbf

Thank you both for your replies. :)
    Maybe I'll just wait & see what Meteor will offer me & maybe if they can sweeten the deal when i tell them of the one available with 3 ;) My contract is not up til Aug.
    I can't seem to see if working out much cheaper buying a phone separately & going for a sim only contract (& thats where I find the comparisons most confusing...not a natural numbers person!!) so maybe I'll just keep it simple instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'm in a similar boat, contract with Metoer ending shortly. I currently have the Galaxy S which has been a great phone but dunno will I stick with it or get a newer phone. My current bill is €45 a month for 400 mins & 400 texts but no data included. I never come anywhere close to using the mins/text but would have been handy to have had data. I reckon 200/200 + data will suffice but want it as cheap as possible !!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

It's not really a good time to get an Iphone, the new one will be out in the next few months.
    The galaxy s3 or htc one x would be alot better then the Iphone 4s.

• Advertisement
Advertisement