Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Deal garden gate - what should I prime it with

Options
  • 16-06-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a made to measure Red Deal garden gate for the side of the house and I want to have the gate finished white in colour.

Would anyone have any advice on how I should go about priming the gate, what I should use to prime and also any good wood finishes available in the colour white? The gate was delivered with a planed smooth finish.

Sorry but I'm a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing and I would really like to do a good job that will last as long as possible.:confused:

Any help greatly appreciated

DC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Use aluminum primer paint. A few costs then a few costs of exterior white wood paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Get oil based white undercoat and thin with white spirit approx 70/30 and coat gate.
    Lightly sand, dust off and apply full coat undercoat then finish with 1 coat white gloss.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 teckel

Get oil based white undercoat and thin with white spirit approx 70/30 and coat gate.
    Lightly sand, dust off and apply full coat undercoat then finish with 1 coat white gloss.

+1
    and give it a quick rub with sandpaper after the undercoat for the top coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

And if possible coat the underside of gate to prevent moisture travelling up the grain and rotting the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Use Protim first, lash it on. It will penetrate the wood a few mm, esp the end grain. Let it dry for a good 24 hours, then use your primer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement