Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I got a bit bored today

Options
  • 16-06-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

So I was bored today and well.........this happened!

ZOI3p.jpg?1

Ab6Eg.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Wow, that looks awful with those stripes dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Wow, that looks awful with those stripes dude.

yeah they didn't come out the way i wanted them to, when i masked them out they looked fine but the finished line wasn't great. I touched them up and fixed them afterwards

Dude, can you paint my car?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Not to hijack your thread but i actually did the same thing last week.
    heres a few pics. its not perfect but hey, i'm no artist.

controller need black thumb-sticks and d-pad though...

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

2 monster energy xboxs i did

IMAG0171-1.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

What's the best paint type for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

solarith wrote: »
    What's the best paint type for this?

Spray paint :pac:

I use ones for cars from Halfords. A bit of wet & dry sandpaper with a range of grits (200 up to 800+), a primer or two (white or grey depending on the basecoat colour), a basecoat colour and clear lacquer.

And a protip: Do not be afraid of the lacquer, it is what will stop your paint getting chipped. Be liberal in how many layers you put on but don't try to speed up the process by putting on more lacquer in one layer - it's very runny and has tendency to well up where over-applied and creates the orange peel effect:

zagg-orange-peel-effect.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Doing something similar, making a htpc;

IMG_00000086.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Doing something similar, making a htpc;

IMG_00000086.jpg

Will it fit?

Looks really good! Did you use the same procedure suggested by TouchingVirus?

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    Will it fit?

Have a bit of a problem with that. The standard mini-itx motherboard is 17x17 cm. The total space in the N64 is 23x19 cm, but that includes the space for the power brick, which I want to keep (I want to build the power supply for the computer into the original power brick). Without this space, the area is 23x15 cm. So either I find a smaller motherboard with the same connectivity (I'm looking at Netbook motherboards), or I compromise and cut out that space.

Picture of the dimensions;

n64dimensions.jpg

Picture of the case with the Brick;

withbrick.jpg
    Looks really good! Did you use the same procedure suggested by TouchingVirus?

I used this low-pressure spray paint called Alien Art Concept, which I got in a paint shop off of Dame street last week when I was in Dublin, can't remember the shop's name. I didn't use any primer, I just completely cleaned the surface with acetone (Which discolours the plastic, but it's being painted over anyway). I haven't applied any enamel or laquer yet.

Apologies for the size of the pictures :D

Have a bit of a problem with that. The standard mini-itx motherboard is 17x17 cm. The total space in the N64 is 23x19 cm, but that includes the space for the power brick, which I want to keep (I want to build the power supply for the computer into the original power brick). Without this space, the area is 23x15 cm. So either I find a smaller motherboard with the same connectivity (I'm looking at Netbook motherboards), or I compromise and cut out that space.

I used this low-pressure spray paint called Alien Art Concept, which I got in a paint shop off of Dame street last week when I was in Dublin, can't remember the shop's name. I didn't use any primer, I just completely cleaned the surface with acetone (Which discolours the plastic, but it's being painted over anyway). I haven't applied any enamel or laquer yet.
    Excellent, thanks for the info. I'm going to experiment next week, though I'll just start with a controller ;D

Kind of plan on doing some designs rather than a solid colour. Pretty much going seeing how tape strips go!

/edit

The bigger pics are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Apologies for the size of the pictures :D
    Are you still making that htpc?? Im in the same boat as you albeit slightly less advanced in the proccess ha but im interested to see how your getting on or any problems your having.

Mr.Ed wrote: »
    Are you still making that htpc?? Im in the same boat as you albeit slightly less advanced in the proccess ha but im interested to see how your getting on or any problems your having.

The project is sort of on hold at the moment unfortunately, until I can drum up money to get started again :( But purely designing it, besides the problem of fitting the motherboard the issue I've had is cooling. Because this is to be used for playing media, noise is an important factor. Since this will be a relatively low power computer (I don't plan on using it for gaming, bar emulators :D) I would ideally like some passive, convection-based cooling system. I have a good few heatsinks and heat pipes from various computers and consoles, so I'm going to see if I can fashion something. Worst case scenario, though, I just use a very quiet fan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

I was actually going to use mine for the exact same reason as yours ha not copying i swear :P Good to know theres not a whole lot of serious issues popping up though ha. What mobo are you going to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The project is sort of on hold at the moment unfortunately, until I can drum up money to get started again :( But purely designing it, besides the problem of fitting the motherboard the issue I've had is cooling. Because this is to be used for playing media, noise is an important factor. Since this will be a relatively low power computer (I don't plan on using it for gaming, bar emulators :D) I would ideally like some passive, convection-based cooling system. I have a good few heatsinks and heat pipes from various computers and consoles, so I'm going to see if I can fashion something. Worst case scenario, though, I just use a very quiet fan :p

Check into some of the Nvidia ION boards with the dual-core atoms, lower power consumption, no heatsinks, and (some) can be powered by a DC brick style psu.

Advertisement