Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Question

Options
  • 16-06-2012 4:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭

Just a quick query on behalf of my girlfriend.

She lives at home with her mum who is unemployed, her mum is claiming Jobseekers for herself and Guardianship allowance for my girlfriends 3 younger cousins as they live with them.

My girlfriend is 21 and is unemployed, and the only work she's had in the past 2 years is a 1 night a week bar job and at Christmas she did 6 weeks seasonal work in HMV, so as she lives at home and her mum is in receipt of jobseekers, is my girlfriend entitled to apply too?

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Just a quick query on behalf of my girlfriend.

She lives at home with her mum who is unemployed, her mum is claiming Jobseekers for herself and Guardianship allowance for my girlfriends 3 younger cousins as they live with them.

My girlfriend is 21 and is unemployed, and the only work she's had in the past 2 years is a 1 night a week bar job and at Christmas she did 6 weeks seasonal work in HMV, so as she lives at home and her mum is in receipt of jobseekers, is my girlfriend entitled to apply too?

Any help greatly appreciated

Your girlfriend can apply for jobseekers allowance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

since she is under 25 she will qualify for 100 or less,not the full amount until she is over 25..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

And as she has been approved for a full time level 8 degree course in September, can she them apply for Back to Education when her jobseekers is approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

And as she has been approved for a full time level 8 degree course in September, can she them apply for Back to Education when her jobseekers is approved?

It is unlikely she will qualify for btea see link http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/ThirdLevelOption.aspx

She will not be in receipt of jsa long enough to qualify.

eastbono wrote: »

It is unlikely she will qualify for btea see link http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/ThirdLevelOption.aspx

She will not be in receipt of jsa long enough to qualify.

But she can still collect JSA while she is in college, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

No you can't claim JSA while in college. One of the requirements for JSA is to be actively seeking work.

Ahhhh I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

She'd be entitled to some sort of grant though for college if she received job seekers from now until the commencement of college in September though, yes?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Advertisement