Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite mac app store apps?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I know a lot of people don't like the mac app store, and many of my friends have never used to for anything more than buying Lion, but I quite like it, I think its a great place for finding apps that nobody has ever heard of.

I'm wondering what mac app store apps people find most useful, and why...

I'll start off with Fantastical. Its great because it stays in the menubar out of my way, the date actually shows in the menubar icon, and it uses normal language-recognition, so I no longer have to spend ages clicking dates and times in iCal just to add an event.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Sourcetree is on the MAS and it's pretty good! Free too.

I also bought Pixelmator on there and it's one of the slicked Mac applications I've ever used. Nowhere near as full featured as Photoshop, but enough for someone like me who needs to do a bit of graphic work.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

I'd second both Fantastical and Pixelmator. Pixelmator is great value for something that covers most of the functionality of Photoshop. I also use Sparrow for email and Reeder as a Google Reader client.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There are two apps in the store that I think are great.

Gamepedia - this allows you to build up a database of you video game collection. It has some similar features to Delicious Library (DL) in that it will allow you to source data from Amazon but it is much more feature rich than DL. It is a must if you have a big collection and are like me and like to have things ordered.

Scrivener - this is a great application for writing short/long form stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Cut the rope is excellent on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Angry birds, xcode and Lion only because they were the only 3 I bought and is the only 2 times I have opened the store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Some of my favourites, Reeder and Pixelmator, have already been mentioned. I also love Alfred. It's an application launcher similar to Quicksilver and Launchbar but more user friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I downloaded something called GeekTool after somenoe recommended it to put things like date and time right on your desktop - but I have absolutely no clue how to use it.

Apart from that have Geekbench, Diskmeter thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

things like date and time right on your desktop

Dateline is a great free app for this, on SL anyway it sucks on Lion (because of the new spaces).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Bought Pixelmator based on the above posts. Seems a great alternative to photoshop, i've now uninstalled the whole Adobe suite. Thinking of replacing Dreamweaver with Coda 2. Seems a good alternative. Although i'm waiting on a price decrease. Seems a bit steep now. I missed out on the opening week half price offer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Coda is one of my favorite mac apps ever, I had Dreamweaver CS4, but it's not a patch on the simplicity of Coda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I had all my music on my old Windows based laptop on some funny setting :(....

I was surfing the web for days ureka app store which is what i love about it now..
    Its called smart converter pro 7.99 and its such a handy lip app I'm happy to pay for it ... :)

Im just trying to find one to open .rar files

Snowie wrote: »
    I had all my music on my old Windows based laptop on some funny setting :(....

I was surfing the web for days ureka app store which is what i love about it now..
    Its called smart converter pro 7.99 and its such a handy lip app I'm happy to pay for it ... :)

Im just trying to find one to open .rar files

I use Switch for converting files. Free too and i've yet to encounter any problems.I use UnRarX for .rar files. But if you prefer the Mac App Store ones I found this for free and it seems to have good ratings. But to be honest since switching to Mac I RARely (see what I did there) come across these files anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

PDF Squeezer - Great for reducing the size of PDF files with images. I also like Read It Later and Evernote.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I use caffeine quite a lot. It's a shortcut to stop your mac from going in to sleep mode. Very handy if going back and forth to Mac for long spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

DubDJ wrote: »
    Thinking of replacing Dreamweaver with Coda 2. Seems a good alternative. Although i'm waiting on a price decrease. Seems a bit steep now. I missed out on the opening week half price offer. :(

Espresso is a decent alternative and slightly cheaper. I haven't tried Coda 2 yet myself, but both seem like decent apps.

Another good app store app I just remembered is Enqueue. It's music player but closer in style to Foobar or Winamp than to iTunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Little Snitch

just saying :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I bought Fantastical the other day and it really is fantastic, puts iCal to shame. There's a trial version available on their website, but now is a good time to buy as it's 50 percent off on the App Store.

Glad I found this thread and all the recommendations of Pixelmater. Really is a must have app for Mac. Love how they offer tutorials too. Really great app.

Advertisement