Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120GB Kingston HyperX 3K Series SSD

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

These are really dropping in price now.
    Once I can get a 256 for around €100 I'll jump on it.

Shouldn't be a whole lot longer at this rate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What is the price?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Hmm, interesting, they changed it to call for price.

It was £65.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

and there is Sandisk

http://www.dabs.ie/products/sandisk-120gb-extreme-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-80C0.html

Keep time on your side, by upgrading your notebook with the high-performance, SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive. This reliable SSD boots-up your system up to twice as fast and launches applications 16 times faster than a 7200 rpm hard drive. SanDisk Ultra SSD endures shocks and vibration.

Upgrade your laptop for better performance and extend its reliability by replacing your hard disk drive§ with the SanDisk Extreme® SSD. You'll enjoy faster boot-ups and open files compared to a 7200 RPM hard drive§. The SanDisk Extreme SSD is backed by rigorous shock and vibration testing and a 3-year limited warranty†. The SanDisk SSD features no moving parts, quiet operation, and low power consumption as compared to a 7200 RPM hard drive.

Specifications/Features

Delivers reliability, durability, and performance for your laptop
    Open/close/boot up files fast--the rugged SanDisk Extreme SSD can open, close or boot up files faster as compared to a 7200 RPM HDD§
    Lightning read and write performance-- lighting fast performance
    Designed for high durability--engineered to withstand shocks and vibration
    Save on IT maintenance costs--you can defer laptop purchase costs and reduce maintenance requests associated with disk drive failure by replacing standard hard drives with SanDisk Extreme SSD's
    Lower power consumption--as compared to a standard 7200 RPM Hard Disk Drive
    Noise reduction--No generation of noise during drive operation
    Available Capacities - 120 GB*, 240 GB*, 480 GB*
    Additional Specifications

Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s (backward compatible to SATA 3 Gb/s & SATA 1.5 Gb/s)
    Temperature (operating/Non-operating) : 0°C to 70°C / -55°C to 95C
    Power Active: 0.6W
    Shock Resistant: 1500G @ 0.5 msec
    Vibration (operating/Non-operating): 2.17gRMS, 5- 700Hz / 3.13gRMS, 5-800Hz
    Performance 120GB

Sequential Read (up to) 550 MB/s
    Sequential Write (up to) 510 MB/s

Random Read ( up to) 23K IOPS
    Random Write (up to) 83K IOPS
    MTBF 2.5M hrs
    § Based on SanDisk internal testing using Microsoft Windows Performance Tool Kit. Performance varies depending upon host device, OS and application. Platform: Dell Optiplex 990, Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz, 2GB RAM; OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

€101.86 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Jarren wrote: »

I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near that read and write speeds under most conditions; this is another Sandforce based drive which can only offer those kinds of speeds with optimal compressible data and speeds will melt away to 100-200MB/s when your data is incompressible.

It would still be a good deal if that price was a few months ago, but now you can get the better Samsung for actually a few cents cheaper.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-128gb-830-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--ssd-laptop-kit---free-norton-ghost-15-7SR9.html
    No compression tricks and you get an additional 8GB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Better of with these ssd's to go for Samsung or Crucial M4. They are both expectional value at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

mik_da_man wrote: »
    These are really dropping in price now.
    Once I can get a 256 for around €100 I'll jump on it.

Shouldn't be a whole lot longer at this rate :D

Wouldn't imagine we'll have to wait too long either!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Some great prices since I last checked prices for SSD's.

Just a question though and if anyone knows the answer it would be great;

I'm wanting to move all my music/photos from my internal HDD onto a external SSD, but how will I establish a file address?

I.e My Windows Media Player has an address for each WMA file and if it is moved from one drive to the SSD, will I have to manually play all the files again so WMP can make a new address for them?

Thanks if anybody can help.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Buying an SSD for external storage is silly.

An SSD will benefit your system when the operating system is on it, and when you load your applications onto the SSD that has the OS they will load immediately.

Having an external SSD for music storage is a bit silly/bonkers imo.

Having said all that, WMP should pick up on the media added to the SSD, no manual config required. Although I think wmp is crap, so I use Zune instead, it may not be the best but I use a windows phone so there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Buying an SSD for external storage is silly.

An SSD will benefit your system when the operating system is on it, and when you load your applications onto the SSD that has the OS they will load immediately.

Having an external SSD for music storage is a bit silly/bonkers imo.

Having said all that, WMP should pick up on the media added to the SSD, no manual config required. Although I think wmp is crap, so I use Zune instead, it may not be the best but I use a windows phone so there ya go.

Thanks for the reply.

Why would having an external SSD drive be silly even if it was content that you would not trust on a physical disk drive, from damage to dropping and faster read 'n' write rates?

I think I'll wait til' I have enough money to start a new building a new pc before I add a SSD as the OS drive.

I've tried other media players and but I've always been fond of WMP for some reason.

Thanks for you're advice anyways.

• Advertisement

You won't notice the faster reads for calling single files like music and photos. Standard drives are already fast enough.

SSDs might be a little more resistant to damage due to movement but they are certainly not foolproof. Reliability rates have been abysmal this generation (just about all sorted out now so you're okay for buying) and while there are some ways data can be retrieved with a failing hard drive, SSDs generally die suddenly and take everything with them. If you are worried about your files then it's best to have them in several locations.

The main reason for it being silly is because they're still expensive relative to hard drive storage.

Edit: Oh yeah, you should also consider whether you can communicate with an SSD at its full speeds. That means USB 3 or eSATA. USB 2 is just too slow and you'd only get a fraction of its capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

And another @ £76.99

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Storage/Hard+Drives+-+SSD/100GB+-+260GB+SSD/OCZ+Agility+3+120GB+2.5%22+SATA-III+Solid+State+Hard+Drive+?productId=47341

Maximum Read: 525MB/sec, Maximum Write: 500MB/sec, Controller: SandForce SF-2200, 3 Years Warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

There are a couple of really good options on dabs

http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-128gb-octane-series-sata-3gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-848C.html

or this one for a little more
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-128gb-830-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--ssd-basic-kit-819N.html

I'm probably going to go for the ocz because the storage controller on my machine is SATA-300 but the samsung is a steal if you have a SATA-600 controller.

Going to use is as the OS and applications drive and use my other drives for storage.

That's an impressive price on the OCZ. If you want less hassle, you should probably go with the Samsung which would be better for reliability, going by OCZ's related drive, the Petrol. You could always use it later with an SATA 6Gbps machine and you'd get a higher quality drive overall.

The original deal in this thread (expired; now marked as £106.94) was good at a similar price although since dabs has free delivery around €100, I'd nearly be tempted myself to try the OCZ in an old netbook.

Monotype wrote: »
    That's an impressive price on the OCZ. If you want less hassle, you should probably go with the Samsung which would be better for reliability, going by OCZ's related drive, the Petrol. You could always use it later with an SATA 6Gbps machine and you'd get a higher quality drive overall.

Was tempted by the Samsung alright. Only 20 quid more and even on SATA-300 will probably perform better than the OCZ.
    Monotype wrote: »
    The original deal in this thread (expired; now marked as £106.94) was good at a similar price although since dabs has free delivery around €100, I'd nearly be tempted myself to try the OCZ in an old netbook.

Sounds like a good plan. Would be tempted except my old machines are either too old to take one and my current laptop has a larger capacity drive. Might change my mind when 256Gb ones come down in price.

Remouad wrote: »
    Might change my mind when 256Gb ones come down in price.

Speak of the devil!

Remouad wrote: »

128Gb Samsung drive but with norton ghost for a massive 18c more!! :D

Advertisement