Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping belongings from London back to Dublin

Options
  • 15-06-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place - wasn't really sure where to put it. Please move if more suited to somewhere else.

I'm thinking of returning to Dublin after 4 years here in London but don't know how I'll get all my stuff back. Does anyone have any experience of using Fedex or another shipping company to transport personal belongings? Can you recommend anyone? While I want to keep costs as low as possible, I also want to make sure I get someone reliable.

I can probably bring most of my clothes on the plane but I have between 100kg - 150kg of books and DVDs. If I send these by boat, will I have to pay customs or anything? They're all mine and I have no intention to sell them but the quantity might raise eyebrows.

Does anyone know if there's a lot of paperwork to complete before this can all be sent? If so, where do I find it etc?

Thanks in advance,

W

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

I think youd be better of hiring a van to transport your things on the boat perhaps. when i was a kid my parents did that when we all moved over to ireland from london.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Mc Kenzie wrote: »
    I think youd be better of hiring a van to transport your things on the boat perhaps. when i was a kid my parents did that when we all moved over to ireland from london.

Hi McKenzie, thanks for your post. I think hiring a van would be the best solution but unfortunately I don't know how to drive :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Hi McKenzie, thanks for your post. I think hiring a van would be the best solution but unfortunately I don't know how to drive :o

You can probably (for a significantly increased fee) get a man to go with that van for both driving and heavy lifting purposes...

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Definitely go by ferry, I've done 'the move' over & back about 4 times now, first was a 'rail&sail' by foot ticket and was dirt cheap, took a while though. Then did the big move again with my girlfriend by car & ya know what women are like for stuff by we managed successfully. Last was by plane & was absolutely extorted for luggage weight. By sea is so much less hassle in terms of queueing & the usual crap you put up with flying but just takes longer. You can get to your ferry about 30 - 40 mins before it sails & ya can board smoothly, at least by car anyway.
    Perhaps if you got like a wee kart to pull around you could go by train to the ferry cuz there's no luggage restrictions by sea last time I checked. But definitely check out the 'rail&sail' ticket from your nearby train station & have a think

You can probably (for a significantly increased fee) get a man to go with that van for both driving and heavy lifting purposes...

Yea, I thought about that but I'd say it would cost a fortune. I'll check out some quotes but I think it might be prohibitively expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Check some ads with man with van some do be heading back to ireland from london and would be a bonus for them to go back with some thing just google around the ads you might be lucky

hytrogen wrote: »
    Definitely go by ferry, I've done 'the move' over & back about 4 times now, first was a 'rail&sail' by foot ticket and was dirt cheap, took a while though. Then did the big move again with my girlfriend by car & ya know what women are like for stuff by we managed successfully. Last was by plane & was absolutely extorted for luggage weight. By sea is so much less hassle in terms of queueing & the usual crap you put up with flying but just takes longer. You can get to your ferry about 30 - 40 mins before it sails & ya can board smoothly, at least by car anyway.
    Perhaps if you got like a wee kart to pull around you could go by train to the ferry cuz there's no luggage restrictions by sea last time I checked. But definitely check out the 'rail&sail' ticket from your nearby train station & have a think

The ferry's a great idea - especially to keep costs down - but the issue is getting my stuff to the west coast of England. I have six large boxes (22x18x18cm) full of books. They easily weight 20-30kg each. Even with a cart, there's no way I'd be able to move the stuff.

patwicklow wrote: »
    Check some ads with man with van some do be heading back to ireland from london and would be a bonus for them to go back with some thing just google around the ads you might be lucky

That's a good idea. I'll check that out. I know I'm being a pain but where would things like that usually be advertised? I guess you mean an Dublin-based guy, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Yea, I thought about that but I'd say it would cost a fortune. I'll check out some quotes but I think it might be prohibitively expensive
    It really shouldn’t be. People are moving back and forth between the UK & Ireland all the time so there’s plenty of demand for this sort of thing. It might take a little longer than other options, but it should be fairly affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Maybe look into getting a pallet shipped over?

I haven't used that company but it was something I thought about when moving over here. Eventually got someone to drive over with my stuff but it seems like a fairly straightforward and stress free method with reasonable prices.

• Advertisement

iambrazil wrote: »

I haven't used that company but it was something I thought about when moving over here. Eventually got someone to drive over with my stuff but it seems like a fairly straightforward and stress free method with reasonable prices.

Nice one - looks really good (and cheap too!). Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

iambrazil wrote: »

Oh wow. Never knew that sort of thing existed! Very useful — thanks iambrazil.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

sure once the pallet is on the truck all you have to worry about is the boat sinking.

hopefully I'll be reunited with hundreds of cds, records and books via this method sometime in the not too distant future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

ok I am faced with this dilemma

Who did people use to hire a van with (when driving themselves) ?

Got a quote of £330 to use a man with van bit much considering what i am transporting and then would have to get a flight myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

www.shiply.com

I moved an entire three bed house from UK to Ireland using this, also moved cars in the past!

Auction off your load to transport companies....simples

did that here: http://www.anyvan.com same thing it seems

first quote was the one mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

saucers82 wrote: »
    did that here: http://www.anyvan.com same thing it seems

first quote was the one mentioned

All the main car hire services (Avis, Hertz, Europcar etc) also rent vans. However, some may not allow you to take the van outside the UK, and even if they do, returning it to the same company's office in Ireland will attract a 'one-way rental' fee.

none seem to allow pick up UK drop off Ireland

so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Have you picked up a copy of the Irish post and looked at the classified

will do this evening

• Advertisement
Advertisement