Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing an apartment, and now being questioned on cohabitation.

Options
  • 15-06-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Due to many unfortunate events in my life, I have moved address several times in the past 18months, and am now living in a 1 bedroom apartment with a boyfriend I have only been seeing a very short time.

Since coming off BTEA I went to change my address, but I panicked and lied a bit, and said I was only living with a friend, but explained the rest of the situation exactly as it is, what rent is paid, that the landlord knows the situation etc.

They called me asked what the living situation is, I again said I was living with a friend - not a BF, and are now sending an inspector to determine if I am cohabiting here or if I am still a single person.

I have been to citizens advice, explained my situation, and was told to wait for the inspector to call out and hope the he takes pity on my situation. No other advice.

I don't know what to do, I have been told that I will lose my BTEA as well as summer payment if they think I am lying.
    I am only trying to help myself, I would be homeless if not here, as I do not have the resources to rent my own accommodation(deposit money for rent etc), I have no family to turn to, no other friends to live with. I have one year of college left, and have already secured my place next year with a non-refundable deposit.

I don't know how to precede, I don't want to lie, but considering this is a short relationship, and you never know whats going to happen I honestly didn't think his money should come into the situation. He is being kind and helping me out of a pretty ****ty situation.

He has a full time - minimum wage job, and I dont take money off him for living, I pay up €80 toward rent and buy my own food, though we do eat meals together sometimes just for simplicities sake.

If anyone can advise me on the correct steps forward I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't understand what the problem is.
    If you are co-habiting then you must inform DSP that this is the case. Your JSA will be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Panic_Ridden

snubbleste wrote: »
    I don't understand what the problem is.
    If you are co-habiting then you must inform DSP that this is the case. Your JSA will be reduced.
    I panicked and didn't tell them when I was applying, they called and asked me what the living situation was- again I panicked, and said he was a friend helping me out. I was then told, by the same woman over the phone, that an inspector will be out to investigate, and if found that I lied my payments will be indefintely taken from me and I will not receive BTEA come September.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Obviously the DSP are sending out an inspector for a reason.
    I doubt you'll lose your Btea entirely. Instead, your payment will be suspended, you'll have to repay any monies that you were not entitled to since you co-habited and your current payments will be reduced. You may also be subject to extra scrutiny in the future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Thread closed - contravenes forum charter.
    This is not a forum for advice on sw fraud. You are cohabiting with someone - you need to tell social welfare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement