Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 / 7 Project 2012 - posting this as a big ? rather than anything

Options
  • 15-06-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Two years ago, fuelled by a mad sense of self something or other and a dose of madness, we did the 24 x 7 magazine 2010 format thingy. It kinda worked - reasonably well.

Last year, we (with slightly less fuel) did the same. A nice project and publication perhaps, but it may not have worked as well as the previous year if you judge that by active participation.

Also, some of the goals like having a magcloud version didn't see fruition and limited enthusiasm outside of this forum probably gets put down to organisation failure (and as I kinda was involved at that end of things I'm happy to recognise that. In truth I also hadn't the same time to invest in it prior to the kick off and the expectation of just posting here didn't quite work).

This year - ?

well that's the question

a) is there an interest
    b) are there people who are willing to get involved
    c) how to proceed

If it is to be killed off (which is only a matter of it not taking place - thankfully nobody dies), I'd like for it at least to have been raised and through lack of interest, bad idea in the first place, sentiment is low, the forum needs to change, the irish summer is cr*p, or whatever, be dropped.

Otherwise, we need enthusiasm, discussions on formats & themes, volunteers to do certain things, engagement, planning, etc...

The date will be on us before we know it so we'd probably want to decide within the next week or so, such that any preparation works can be embarked upon.

Oh, yeah... the basic idea - produce a magazine publication of photographic content within 24 hours. Nothing exists before the 24 hours. A publication exists after 24 hours. It's as *simple* as that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Just let me see if I have this right, all the pictures and content must be started and finished between those 24hrs?. It's a very interesting concept and surely some people would be interested in the idea if only to do something different. The Irish summer is indeed all over the place but I wonder can indoor shots such as macro figure into the project?. I've had to make deadlines that were half as short so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread and see where it all goes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Yes, I'd be interested. I'd also like to submit a photo(s) and help out if possible. Althought without a date I can't commit to either but I'd nearly 100% be able to take a photo on any date that was suggested.

Where to go from here? Look into weekends that have events coming up. SPWC come to mind. Think of a suitable way of getting photos to the editors, Was the last method OK? Any issues with it? Look into free online magazine publishing sites, issuu is good but there's probably been about 5 released since last year, maybe one will work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

if it does go ahead this year i'll throw my hat at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

Something that might help is to get a big venue; where a few mini-studies can be set up - and people can bring their bits-n-pieces to do some close up & still life studies. Also have some lighting gear set up and some model shoots can be done and if the day is good well people can go outside and take pictures of the lovely weather!

John Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

i'll give it a blast, did it before. Its kind of different, you can photograph anything but you are restricted by time which adds a certain edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Work schedule and general humour permitting on the day, I'm in. Enjoyed the last two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Count me in, as I doing a 365 I'll have a least one photo to submit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

if I'm in the country at the time (which is quite likely unless I win the Lotto) I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Count me in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

AncatDubh -

I really think you should 'advertise' this by a drop in post on the Random thread.

k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

There appears to be about 10 people interested at this stage. In reality chances are a few will drop out, so numbers would need to hold / or increase somewhat.

So, with it being 4th of July today, it means about 3 weeks or so if it were to happen as with previous years though the date is up to the community to set.

To get it moving in earnest two things are needed;

a) someone to take the lead/organise/publicise

and

b) someone with graphic / design skills that can turn out a PDF in very short timeframes.

So volunteers, step right up. If you want to get involved in either of these roles just post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am interested in participating.

Advertisement