Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity Surveying

Options
  • 15-06-2012 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Does anyone here do QS at LIT? I'm just looking for some information on the course, such as numbers doing it, facilities and quality of teaching.

Also how is a person meant to get a job for the third year with the construction industry not hiring?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Not doing QS but know some that are most are very happy with the facilities and lecturers as for placement the college helps with that, I believe that this year they had more jobs than students....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Thanks for replying stock. I heard that about the placements, it's one of my the reasons I'm checking in to it, they must ave a good reputation. You wouldn't happen to know how good the teaching is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I completed this course about 5 years ago, its certainly seen within the industry as being the defacto place in ireland to hire graduates out of..

The 3rd year placement is a real help. Its not the easiest of courses but the lecturers are great.

Certainly no jobs in Ireland at the moment for Qs's however that wont always be the case.

Thanks for the input lads. Everyone I have talked to has said what a good reputation the course has. So I went down there today to have another look around and decided it's the place for me, so hopefully everything works out well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Best of luck! Limerick IT is quite good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GedR

Does anyone here do QS at LIT? I'm just looking for some information on the course, such as numbers doing it, facilities and quality of teaching.

Also how is a person meant to get a job for the third year with the construction industry not hiring?

Thanks

Im about to start 4th year in QS. Just finished my placement in May. Regarding placement dont be expecting to be paid or at most you will get expenses. I was travelling 45miles to my placement for €100 a week and some lads were not getting anything. First year isnt too bad some tough subjects. Second year is a bitch a pile of work to do with projects every single week. As far as i know there was only 7 or 8 in 1st year last year and about the same the year before. With regard to the lecturers they are v.good but do expect high standards, you cant just throw them anything they have no problem failing lads. Glad im nearly finished to be honest. Hope this helps and good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

GedR wrote: »
    First year isnt too bad some tough subjects. Second year is a bitch a pile of work to do with projects every single week.
    this is what worries me,I did 1st year in a different college in 06/07,I haven't been studying since.I got accepted to 2nd year in LIT,I am planning on spending all my time in the library this year,I will have loads of catching up to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GedR

There was a lad in his 40's that came into 2nd year with us he had alot of work to do but studied hard and got there. The integrated project is the most annoying 6 or 7 big projects wrapped into one. We did it in groups which was a disaster i was put in with 3 of the biggest wasters in the class. Measurement will prob be your hardest seen as you didnt do it in first year its what most lads fail in 1st and 2nd year. Get some grinds in it its free above in the student union. I was good at it if you have any questions give me a buzz on this

There was a lad in his 40's that came into 2nd year with us he had alot of work to do but studied hard and got there. The integrated project is the most annoying 6 or 7 big projects wrapped into one. We did it in groups which was a disaster i was put in with 3 of the biggest wasters in the class. Measurement will prob be your hardest seen as you didnt do it in first year its what most lads fail in 1st and 2nd year. Get some grinds in it its free above in the student union. I was good at it if you have any questions give me a buzz on this

cheers for that advice.I did measurement in 1st year in Sligo.Thank god it was one of my stronger subjects.If you don't mind me asking,who did you do your work exp with?I am planning on looking this year,to save disappointment.

Im about to start 4th year in QS. Just finished my placement in May. Regarding placement dont be expecting to be paid or at most you will get expenses. I was travelling 45miles to my placement for €100 a week and some lads were not getting anything. First year isnt too bad some tough subjects. Second year is a bitch a pile of work to do with projects every single week. As far as i know there was only 7 or 8 in 1st year last year and about the same the year before. With regard to the lecturers they are v.good but do expect high standards, you cant just throw them anything they have no problem failing lads. Glad im nearly finished to be honest. Hope this helps and good luck with it

Figured it would be best to leave Ireland for the placement due to their being so little work about.:( I actually have a summer job for next year lined up with Gleeds in England. Did people who were placed outside of Ireland get paid?

Also, did you work with BIM when you were in first or second year? I'm looking to learn as much as possible about it with the movement to it's compulsory use for public contracts.

I was told by James Collins that he only expects about 8 people in the course again this year. Some number given how many were doing it a few years ago.

• Advertisement

I actually have a summer job for next year lined up with Gleeds in England.

When did you organise that?did you have to do an interview?what year are you studying?

When did you organise that?did you have to do an interview?what year are you studying?

I organised it in late April early May. I was ringing around companies in Britain looking for a bit of summer work experience. I got talking to a fella at VB Johnson and explained my situation about doing the PLC course, going to college next year and being 31. He then gave me a name to contact at Gleeds and I was then talking to that guy about QSing and the standards at various universities. He said he couldn't offer me work experience this summer as I'm not studying QS but gave me his mobile number to ring in January and will give me a job in London for next summer.

I actually was meant to be studying in Britain as I had applied to colleges there but decided to stay in Ireland. The guy at Gleeds was saying that he could organise a part-time job in one of their offices for me, I just had to be willing to travel for it. I chose to stay in Ireland though as the fees in England are £9,000 per year.:eek:

I had one big thing in my favour. When I was dong my PLC course I did my work experience with Rider Hunt International in Aberdeen, I even got paid for it.:cool: So he liked the fact that I was willing to do whatever I had to so I could secure employment. He actually couldn't get over that I was willing to go anywhere for a bit of work.

I didn't have to do an interview for Gleeds or Rider Hunt, it was more of an informal telephone conversation. Mostly along the lines of what do I hope to get out of work experience and why Quantity Surveying.

Oh and I'm heading in to first year in September, never studied quantity surveying, so am going to have to work my ass off!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

BehindTheScenes ....... you'll be right, if you have a good head for figures and are able to understand labour constants and a bit of law. I know two of the lecturers very well and both are highly thought of in industry. Treat it as a job be on site at leave at five or six attend all your lectures and tutorials, finish your course work on time, if you are having difficulty ask, lots of people are willing to help lecturers included. On team projects don't be afraid to drop a member not carrying their weight, why should they share in the marks if they don't put in the work.

Advertisement