Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train and Boat to Dublin

Options
  • 15-06-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Has anyone taken the train and boat lately from London to Dublin? I want to bring home a 32'' TV (long silly story) and was thinking of taking the train/boat from London. Would probably take a taxi to Euston. Just wondering if there's a lot of walking involved as I don't especially want to kill myself. I don't think the TV would survive a plane journey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

AMW_01 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there's a lot of walking involved as I don't especially want to kill myself.
    No, not really. Make life easy for yourself and get a direct train to Holyhead, then you pretty much step off the train onto the boat. If you sail with Stena, a bus picks you up at the ferry terminal and drops you in the city centre - probably similar story for Irish Ferries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Both Irish Ferries and Stena have their Sail Rail prices which are around the £40 mark from London to Dublin. There's not that much walking with buses doing most of the leg work, as mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'm fairly sure they make you check in anything larger than a backpack which could be bad news for a TV. Might be good idea to give them a call first. IIRC they're one of the few countries in the UK where you can call up and actually speak to a human without waiting 30 mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Best fares are on www.seat61.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AMW_01

Yes, I saw that you can check in luggage. I better call them as there'd be no point taking the boat only to have to check-in the TV.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds feasible if I can bring the TV on myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You could get a bus from Victoria to Bus Arus and you wouldn't have to lift the tv once. Have a look on the Bus Eireann site.

I just called Irish Ferries and they said I can take the TV on board with me. If anyone knows differntly, please let me know. Thanks!

I checked out the bus option but it's overnight and seems long. But I'll keep it in mind - putting the TV in the boot and collecting it in Dublin is very appealing.

I just called Irish Ferries and they said I can take the TV on board with me. If anyone knows differntly, please let me know.
    As far as I'm aware, it's not compulsory to check in anything. They ask that people check in bulky bags and the like, just so they're not strewn about the place, but I can't imagine there'll be an issue with a TV.

I'm assuming you don't have a car but would it be worth hiring one perhaps or would this be hugely expensive?

I'm assuming you don't have a car but would it be worth hiring one perhaps or would this be hugely expensive?
    I imagine hiring a car would be massively expensive relative to the sail & rail option.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    I imagine hiring a car would be massively expensive relative to the sail & rail option.

And actually the OP never said he was going back to London!!

Yes, I'm only going one-way.

So, I called Irish Ferries and they said it'd be ok. Then I emailed them so I'd have something in writing, just in case. Their reply in writing:

'Passengers are only permitted to take small personal hand luggage onto the passenger deck. There is no storage facility on the passenger deck. For safety reasons we can only allow small items of hand luggage onto the passenger desk. See below taken from our web site. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.'

Maybe I'd better take the bus after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

So, I called Irish Ferries and they said it'd be ok. Then I emailed them so I'd have something in writing, just in case. Their reply in writing:

'Passengers are only permitted to take small personal hand luggage onto the passenger deck. There is no storage facility on the passenger deck. For safety reasons we can only allow small items of hand luggage onto the passenger desk. See below taken from our web site. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.'

Maybe I'd better take the bus after all.

That's just a template response from some drone. I'd email at least once more citing the fact that you previously got verbal confirmation that it would be OK.

Have you priced getting it "sent" back to Dublin by a shipping company? you might be surprised at the cost, I remember getting stuff sent to the UK and couldn't believe how cheap it was. Then a cheapy Ryanair flight home might not work out all that much more expensive.

I just think you're going to run into trouble getting it onto a bus/ferry :(

That's just a template response from some drone. I'd email at least once more citing the fact that you previously got verbal confirmation that it would be OK.
    Definitely. Emphasise that it's a TV and if it's going to be an issue, you'll just fly with it instead.

Just curious as to why you've ruled out the flying option straight away? Ground staff at airports are used to handling fragile items - a TV shouldn't be a problem for them.

I'm flying home this weekend - I'll ask about bringing it on the plane. I just assumed it'd never survive the journey. I've brought a bike on the plane before and it was fine but it's a bit hardier than a TV.

I'm flying home this weekend - I'll ask about bringing it on the plane. I just assumed it'd never survive the journey. I've brought a bike on the plane before and it was fine but it's a bit hardier than a TV.
    I've brought guitars on planes and they've been absolutely fine. Best to check with the carrier I suppose.

It'd be Cityjet from LCY - did you actually check in your guitar or bring it onto the plane with you?

It'd be Cityjet from LCY...
    Hmmm. Are Lingus might be a better bet.
    ...did you actually check in your guitar or bring it onto the plane with you?
    Checked in. I've done it several times and never had any problems. Airlines are well used to carrying musical instruments - I can't imagine a TV would be all that different, but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

City Airport is more convenient for me so it has to be Cityjet. I might nip out to them this evening and ask. If they say yes, I think I'll chance it.

City Airport is more convenient for me...
    Given a choice between Heathrow and a ferry, I think I'd be opting for Heathrow (or Gatwick).

Advertisement