Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Interest Support

Options
  • 14-06-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what percentage of a mortgage is interest for the purposes of claiming Mortgage Interest Supplement. My mortgage is currently only €430 per month with 7 years gone on a 20 year term. Also do you get MIS straight away when you claim unemployment assistance.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

don't think you will get because your mortgage isn't that high

i pay 500 a month for my council house!! and thats rent

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

lisar816 wrote: »
    don't think you will get because your mortgage isn't that high

i pay 500 a month for my council house!! and thats ren
    Yes but you get 70% rent allowance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

rsole1 wrote: »
    Yes but you get 70% rent allowance ?
    im renting a council house you cant get allowance for renting a council house
    it is cheaper then renting private i suppose but it is not cheap to rent a council house like everyone thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

lisar816 wrote: »
    im renting a council house you cant get allowance for renting a council house
    it is cheaper then renting private i suppose but it is not cheap to rent a council house like everyone thinks

Yes but its means tested isnt it? If you have a dramatic drop in earnings your rent will be adjusted to reflect that? Plus the council are a great landlord in my experience! Anything goes wrong, fixed double quick.

Back to the original query, the mortgage interest supplement pays the interest on the mortgage - you still pay the capital, so the percentage is whatever percentage is interest - usually in the early days most of the repayment is interest, but the further you get into it its less.

You have to apply for it, it doesnt happen automatically.

Advertisement