Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regret not picking TY?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, I'm just nearly done my Junior Cert now and I really regret not picking TY, I'm going straight into fifth year. We picked the options around March and I was adamant about going straight onto fifth year because it was in my mind all along.
    All my friends except one are doing TY which I wasn't too bothered about because I was sure I'd make more friends, plus I was having trouble with this one mean girl in my group of friends which kind of put me off doing it.
    Now I really regret not picking it, it's only hitting me now that I'll most likely lose all my friends and lots of my year. There's obviously nothing I can do about it now but I know I'll spend all summer beating myself up about it, how can I try not regret not picking it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Now I really regret not picking it, it's only hitting me now that I'll most likely lose all my friends and lots of my year. There's obviously nothing I can do about it now but I know I'll spend all summer beating myself up about it, how can I try not regret not picking it?

First of all congrats on finishing the Junior Cert :p

It is by no means a certainty that you will 'lose' your friends by not doing TY. There are people in my year (5th year [well, 6th year :eek:] ) who skipped TY and still hung around, went up town, etc. with friends from their own year.

As for not regretting, I did TY and thought is was terrible. Really, the quality of the TY year depends largely on the school organising it. The only saving grace for the year the amount of spare time I had, which let me work on my own little projects, but sure you can do that over the summer anyway. So unless your school is very much different, I wouldn't worry about missing out on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

It's probably not too late to change your mind yet. Ring the school or talk to your year head if you still have exams and they are around. If you really feel you want to do it then go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lollypop2012

tbh i did ty and it was the biggest mistake i ever did it ruined me when i went into fith year i ended up having to repeat fifth year as i missed so many days as i was so used to not going into school in ty.. if you are really worried about losing your friend you could always go into 5th year and then repeat it would give yoou that extra advantage in the l.c. in my school anyway we did absolutly nothing in ty it way the biggest waste of a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Does TY really make you that slack?
    We had a 30 minute speech by our TY coordinator today saying that she will not tolerate slackness and everyone was looking around going "sure isnt TY just slackness" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MOR66

I'm not sure if you changed your mind or not.But if you began now you probably wont have missed much of the courses the school has organised for the year.I think ty is great, if you make the most of it! If you actually bothered in your junior cert it's a good break,as going into 5th year straight away would be preety intense.Plus face the fact your all still children, no need to grow up the fast! In my experience, my friends who chose not to do ty a higher percentage ended up repeating the lc, probably from stress and just not being ready.

It is true there are people who do ty and just don't give a crap,end up barely attending school,drinking and just being slags in general.But if you actually pre plan, it should be a grand year!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I'm the opposite, I think not picking TY is the best decision I've ever made tbh! Hearing what the TYs have been up to at my school, honestly, I'd be so frustrated if I were doing it, and it's only September. They had an induction day where all they did was colour. They've gone on their trip this week, oh my, camping and/or all day outdoor activities in that rain would have killed me :eek:

One of my friends who did TY said the thing that bothered her most was how her mam paid x amount of money for her to sit in school for an extra year and do all these modules where half of them don't interest her. I had a few friends who came up to 5th with me... all of the TY skippers kind of looked out for each other the first few weeks which was really nice :D I integrated better than I thought I would considering I'm not very good at making friends. In general, my new year are just a nicer bunch of people lol. So I'm very happy!

As someone said above, repeating 5th isn't a bad option if you find the workload is a lot and wanna get back in with your old friends. My cousin did that as she just couldn't back into the work after TY. Hopefully it's going better for you, you might settle in better than you think xx

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I am bored out of my mind in TY. I have nothing to do at night so I'm wasting my nights away on the internet and there's just no challenge for me. I'm more of an academic student so this year is basically for the people who aren't academic to get a chance to do well in school. I'm not much of a do-er so TY really isn't for me, it just feels like one long Business class :( Mini-Company is a load of s**te [excuse my french] and I don't know why anyone would want to it. Same products and same events as last year, nothing new. I feel bad for my Mam and Dad paying for my TY (even though I told them that I didn't want to do it and they were adamant about me going in >:( ). I've been on one trip so far and it was good but the school thing is just so bloody boring, same thing day in day out doing first year work. I mean for God sakes, learning to do the French "je suis tu as il a elle a" that we learned at the start of secondary and art is colour wheels. I hate it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'm in L.C. now and I did TY (which was the best year of my life) but still I'd say you shouldn't regret not picking TY. There's always going to be pros and cons to picking it or 5th year. They'll be different for everyone and TY just doesn't suit everybody. :) It obviously depends on how well run TY is in your school. Ours is fairly good and we were kept busy with one thing or another for the whole year. I'd be fairly academic so it was definately not a "doss" year and I think I'm really a better person after it.

Don't worry about knowing hardly anyone if you go straight into 5th year. You won't be the only person in that boat, trust me. I suppose the 21 of us had a similar kind of experience when we went into 5th year and joined a completely new year who we know none of. We kind of kept to ourselves for the first few weeks in one big group but after that as we got to know the rest of our new year everything got a whole lot better tbh. I suppose it took us a while to get used to having different people in every class instead of being with the same 20 other girls all day every day.

You shouldn't regret not choosing TY. You'll probably realise it at the end of the year when you see yourself going into 6th year and all your friends a year behind you. There's nothing stopping you from still being friends with them either. :)

Just make the best of 5th year and don't dwell on it too much.:)

Advertisement