Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Ambulance Service Aprentice Paramedic

Options
  • 14-06-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else applied for the recent advertisement from LAS??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

19hz wrote: »
    Hey,

Hi! I didn't apply for it myself. Did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Medic475 wrote: »
    Hey,

Hi! I didn't apply for it myself. Did you?

Yup...haven't heard back yet but I have heard they've sent some people rejection mails so il take it as a good sign. Looks like a ****ty programme tho...

Yup...haven't heard back yet but I have heard they've sent some people rejection mails so il take it as a good sign. Looks like a ****ty programme tho...

Cool! Best of luck with it. I was chatting to a few LAS Student Paramedics when I was working over there who went into it in different ways, hadn't heard about the Apprentice way though! Tough isn't the word, will be as hard as **** but will be worth it in the end!

Cool! Best of luck with it. I was chatting to a few LAS Student Paramedics when I was working over there who went into it in different ways, hadn't heard about the Apprentice way though! Tough isn't the word, will be as hard as **** but will be worth it in the end!

Ha got a message this morning saying I didnt meet the GCSE requirements but I have my leaving cert and told that thats more than enough.
    I rang and they said to just send and email saying that I have the Irish version...hopefully they'll accept it.

Ha got a message this morning saying I didnt meet the GCSE requirements but I have my leaving cert and told that thats more than enough.
    I rang and they said to just send and email saying that I have the Irish version...hopefully they'll accept it.

Nice one! Keep me posted on how it goes! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I've never heard of a traineeship for Paramedic described as an '' apprenticeship '' :confused:

Delancey wrote: »
    I've never heard of a traineeship for Paramedic described as an '' apprenticeship '' :confused:

Its 5 years of working full time while doing 16hours of Open Uni per week to get the degree...spose its a bit like doing a trade???

tis a load of bo&&ox tbh... they just want cheap staff for 5 years then send u off with the lowest grade para qualification... meh... better than working for privates I suppose..

19hz just to let you know - The South West Ambulance Service are recruiting for Student Paramedics also if you'd be interested? Have a look at their website!

19hz just to let you know - The South West Ambulance Service are recruiting for Student Paramedics also if you'd be interested? Have a look at their website!

Sound for the heads up I'll check it out but I doubt I'd stray that way on my lonesome..a lot of us in London...namley the ol ball and chain.. haha

Still in the running.

Rang them today for update...they are advertising next week again for more people for same course...
    register on NHS jobs if yer interested...

• Advertisement

Still in the running.

Rang them today for update...they are advertising next week again for more people for same course...

Advertising again? I'm surprised they didn't get a load of applications!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Still in the running.

For the South West or London position? I threw my name in for the South west role, Nothing to lose after all. Not heard anything yet. They said that if you don't hear anything 4 weeks after closing date then take it you weren't successful but with the first round assessments taking place between the 16th and the 20th of July I reckon if I haven't heard anything by Friday week then I should take that to be the polite 'Thanks but no thanks'.
    Well if the 'apprentice' position is back on then may go for that this time but by all accounts, London can be a rough spot to work in.

flazio wrote: »
    For the South West or London position? I threw my name in for the South west role, Nothing to lose after all. Not heard anything yet. They said that if you don't hear anything 4 weeks after closing date then take it you weren't successful but with the first round assessments taking place between the 16th and the 20th of July I reckon if I haven't heard anything by Friday week then I should take that to be the polite 'Thanks but no thanks'.
    Well if the 'apprentice' position is back on then may go for that this time but by all accounts, London can be a rough spot to work in.

London have advertised again.. closing date is July 13th.
    http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=912901952

Ah London's good craic...been doing 999s for LAS since last October through a private company..

What's the latest? :)

Fell ill so never got to put in an application for LAS, never heard anything back from SW and the first round assessments are done. So Back to square one for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Has anyone got any word back on their application yet? I managed to get a last minute submission in thanks to this thread :) but still havent heard yet

dtfo wrote: »
    Has anyone got any word back on their application yet? I managed to get a last minute submission in thanks to this thread :) but still havent heard yet

For SWAS or LAS?...

I did the assessment but failed on the highway code of all things.
    Spent most of my time learning off the 13page infection control document they sent for you to study...didn't put any time into the highway code assuming it would be straight forward.
    There is a test on that, map reading, maths, english, lifting and that.

Rang em up and they said they will prob recruit again in October/November.

Was that South West or London?
    Were you invited to the assessment or did you just turn up one of the days?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

The LAS one, only applied on the 13th July, still havent heard anything

Was that South West or London?
    Were you invited to the assessment or did you just turn up one of the days?

London. I was invited to an assessment day.
    Only about 7 people in my class, about 12 in the afternoon class.
    I think they may be recruiting in autumn for another class in Feb13.
    dtfo wrote: »
    The LAS one, only applied on the 13th July, still havent heard anything

So you have checked your inbox on NHS jobs and you personal email address I take it?
    They tend to send the failed application mails to your NHS login.
    If there is nothing in either inbox then you may be through the application and waiting for the next recruitment so they can form assessment days which may not be until October/November.

I would ring the LAS recruitment on 0044 2030690260 from Ireland or 02030690260 from UK. Give them your name and your application ref if you have it they should be able to look it up straight away and tell you what stage its at, or if you have been unsuccessful.

• Advertisement

Yo...

Advertised again..

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/showvac/APKIDr/3745440/912942755

Closing 24th Sept..

Yo...

Advertised again..

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/showvac/APKIDr/3745440/912942755

Closing 24th Sept..

I wonder is it because hardly anyone applied or they didn't meet the requirements?

Might be down to the fact that the 'Person Specification' and the 'Additional Document' are both the out line of the Open University course and therefore candidates aren't able to demonstrate how they fit the person criteria as they don't know what the requirements are.
    19hz, did LAS say you're welcome to try again and if so, will you?
    Best of luck if you do.

I wonder is it because hardly anyone applied or they didn't meet the requirements?

Well yes and no... They never got the numbers they would have liked with the first two recruitments...
    On the other hand I heard they'll be taking on once every 3 months for a year for it.

Might be down to the fact that the 'Person Specification' and the 'Additional Document' are both the out line of the Open University course and therefore candidates aren't able to demonstrate how they fit the person criteria as they don't know what the requirements are.
    19hz, did LAS say you're welcome to try again and if so, will you?
    Best of luck if you do.

Ya they said I could apply again as I passed the application stage last time. If you don't pass the application stage you can't apply to las for 6months.
    Ya ill give it a go again.. sure I passed everything except the stupid highway code...my own fault...didn't look at it once...assumed it would be same as Ireland. Lesson learned...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

If you look at the small print it says that you are responsible for paying the tuition fees

drvr wrote: »
    If you look at the small print it says that you are responsible for paying the tuition fees

Indeed sir. Comes to about 10grand.
    If I was to go to college it would cost be between 3-9grand per year plus accommodation and no wages.

This way you get a full time salary and you can also avail of interest free finance from LAS....

Advertisement