Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent before moving in?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi,
    A few of my friends and I have two deposits paid on two separate houses, managed by the same landlord. We're supposed to be moving in for the college year; September - May. However, the land lord is looking for 2 months rent on top of the deposit we've paid, in advance of moving in (in 3 installments over the Summer).

Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would be premature and abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fifi Trixie Belle

clonadlad wrote: »
    Hi,
    A few of my friends and I have two deposits paid on two separate houses, managed by the same landlord. We're supposed to be moving in for the college year; September - May. However, the land lord is looking for 2 months rent on top of the deposit we've paid, in advance of moving in (in 3 installments over the Summer).

Is this normal?

No. It's not normal except in student villages where all rent is paid in a lump sum up front. Can I ask why you've paid two deposits? Or is it that you've one deposit paid which applies to either of two houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Who is your landlord? is it a letting agency? If you have paid a deposit already and have proof of that, you shouldn't have to pay anymore. Get onto PRTB if you have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

No thats not normal. The norm is a deposit(normally a months rent) and Septembers rent before you move in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Have you seen the place yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

got out of that house if you can!sounds like a tramp of a landlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Try an find another place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Drop in to Cathal in the SU to get the solicitors contact details to retrieve your deposit.

Advertisement