Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mma qualification

Options
  • 14-06-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

for along time i feel that there should be a set reconised mma qualification grade. What qualifcation or experience do you think a mma instructor should have to call him/herself a mma coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ideally i would say that they where a pro fighter-and qualified to teach 1 of BJJ/Judo/Wrestling to some level and a striking Qualification too.

In the early days it was understandable lad's with little experience starting clubs as there was none so that was better than nothing, Now it is just silly as there is plenty of clubs around who are at a competent level.

Lad's starting up MMA club's now are doing it for finanvial reasons rather than love for the sport-In the early day's i think people just wanted a chance to train.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

for along time i feel that there should be a set reconised mma qualification grade.

You can either fight well, or you can't. You can either coach others to fight well, or you can't.
    Someone should have a proven, comprehensive track record in both before opening a club in any combat sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    You can either fight well, or you can't. You can either coach others to fight well, or you can't.
    Someone should have a proven, comprehensive track record in both before opening a club in any combat sport.

Like experience as an assistant coach in another club to prove that they can coach people?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Peetrik wrote: »
    Like experience as an assistant coach in another club to prove that they can coach people?

Part of the picture for sure. No excuse why this wouldn't be the case now in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Peetrik wrote: »

Even if you coached in a different sport it would help-coaching is not for all, i knew great fighters who could not coach for love nor money-a lot of it is personality and been good at getting the point across.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

cowzerp wrote: »
    Even if you coached in a different sport it would help-coaching is not for all, i knew great fighters who could not coach for love nor money-a lot of it is personality and been good at getting the point across.

This is very true. I have known a rake of lads who were decent fighters & tried coaching for a while. Turned out the majority of them were atrocious at it.

To be a coach it helps to have a well versed technique & the ability to break techniques down in such a way that students of various capabilities can understand them. Sometimes a coach who was a poor fighter will know all too well the consequences of making mistakes during fights, therefore may be able to coach someone to avoiding similar mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

This guy seems to have the answers :D read down a bit on his page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Become-a-martial-arts-school-owner/255599384456630

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

You need a mohawk and tattoos

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Greg Jackson brought in his own MMA syllabus

Some people will call it a money racket but I see the importance of people having to understand a syllabus to teach

Especially for insurance purposes as well as obvious technical aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't think any sort of official qualification would make a difference.
    If I was starting training in a club tomorrow and had a choice between one coach with a wall full of degrees and qualifications, or another coach with no qualifications but a successful track record of competing and coaching other athletes, I know which one I'd be choosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dean09 wrote: »
    I don't think any sort of official qualification would make a difference.
    If I was starting training in a club tomorrow and had a choice between one coach with a wall full of degrees and qualifications, or another coach with no qualifications but a successful track record of competing and coaching other athletes, I know which one I'd be choosing.

wvznna.jpg

Advertisement