Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schreiber Barnes Oak Oval Dining Table and 6 Slatted Chairs - €381.21 (was €1122.99)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

They still haven't reduced my TV though :-)

Fair play holding out for your table and chairs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I got the same table (just it was rectangular and extends to 8 feet) and 8 of those chairs in Homebase for 405 euro recently.

But thats still a good bargain from Argos.:)

PS-Take your time when screwing in the allen key bolts to assemble the chair,they can give you touble locating into the chair legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i used a website called www.changedetection.com which sends me an email every time anything on the page changes, so i was getting email alerts every time they updated the price. :)

it's actually a celebratory present for myself and my wife after we managed to get a full refund out of ryanair for flights to tenerife that we couldn't take due to our baby being sick.

they refused the refund (repeatedly) even after they had requested a doctors note as proof of the severity of the illness, so i lodged a small claim against them and they paid up more or less right away. :D

paddy147 wrote: »
    PS-Take your time when screwing in the allen key bolts to assemble the chair,they can give you touble locating into the chair legs.
    thx Paddy, will do. :)

dammit, you just reminded me that it's ANOTHER thing i'll have to put together. :(

ah well! :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    thx Paddy, will do. :)

dammit, you just reminded me that it's ANOTHER thing i'll have to put together. :(

ah well! :)

Cuppa tea and the radio on and you will fly through it in no time at all.

Then your missus will cook you a nice big slap up meal (hopefully).:D

• Advertisement

that reminds me, i need to get to superquinn for a couple of big fat ribeyes before their special offer runs out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Guys,

A total novice at these things, how does Schreiber Barnes compare with other manufacturers?

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

A total novice at these things, how does Schreiber Barnes compare with other manufacturers?

Well so far so good,for me anyway.:)

finished putting ours together the other day and it's really nice, we're very happy with it.

worth nothing though, it's really fupping heavy! the table on it's own is 60kg, so you'll want 2 people to move it and put it together as it's a real monster to try and get it unboxed and turned over to put the legs on.

very nice though, pleased as punch. :)

also, if you're interested in it, the price just dropped this morning (I'm still getting the alerts) to €381.21 so it's a steal at that price, it really is.

one thing i would say though is to make sure you get some kind of treatment for it, teak oil or something like that to protect it, it just needs a good coating of something to help it last long term, like any decent piece of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

vibe666 wrote: »
    finished putting ours together the other day and it's really nice, we're very happy with it.

worth nothing though, it's really fupping heavy! the table on it's own is 60kg, so you'll want 2 people to move it and put it together as it's a real monster to try and get it unboxed and turned over to put the legs on.

very nice though, pleased as punch. :)

also, if you're interested in it, the price just dropped this morning (I'm still getting the alerts) to €381.21 so it's a steal at that price, it really is.

one thing i would say though is to make sure you get some kind of treatment for it, teak oil or something like that to protect it, it just needs a good coating of something to help it last long term, like any decent piece of wood.

Thanks very much for the feedback. A couple of questions...

Are the chairs very heavy?
    Can you fit 6 adults comfortably at the table or is it a bit of a squash to do it?

Thanks

• Advertisement

the chairs come in flat packed in packs of two and the package weighs 16 or 19kg i think (boxes thrown out now, so i can't check) and they're pretty decent. not as heavy as i was expecting, but still solid oak, so they're pretty heavy. the thinner slat seem a little bit delicate considering the heavy duty nature of the outside parts, but you're never likely to be manhandling them and they're fine for supporting the weight of someone leaning on them. construction is good overall, although as paddy says, sometimes the bolts don't slot in 100% correctly when you're putting them together, so they need a bit of wiggling to get the just right.

i have a black & decker 12v electric screwdriver and i was wishing it was an 18v one to give it a bit more grunt, but i still just about got there with it. it makes all the difference though, you'd be there for hours using their manual allen key to do it. :)

a great buy anyway, nice and sturdy and plenty of room for 6 people round it, we're actually planning on using it for family dinners which would be 8 people + a baby and there's plenty of room even for that, although with the legs out at the edges, you probably wouldn't get 8 chairs under it, unless you had 2 at each end as well as the 2 either side at the middle.

also, the chair seats look black in the picture, but it's a dark tan leather effect, kind of like a pair of brown shoes type of colour.

Advertisement