Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do yours eat for breakfast?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

My placid and relaxed 10yr old has morphed into a hormonal, moody little pain over the past 6wks!!! Everything seems to be a battle with him..it's not that he's being bold, but he questions everything when previously, this child would have done whatever I asked, without batting an eyelid!!:p

Anyhow, breakfast is a constant battle. He is a good eater generally, but doesn't seem to be in the mood for any type of food in the mornings before school. I have reluctantly gone back to those awful coco-pops, which I believe haven't got an ounce of nutrition in them (despite what it says on the box!!), because I also decided that getting a bowl of rubbish into him before he goes to school is better than a half hour battle to get a teaspoon of porridge/weetabix or toast into him!!

Anyone having this issue and any alternatives to that dreadful cereal!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Fittle wrote: »
    Anyhow, breakfast is a constant battle. He is a good eater generally, but doesn't seem to be in the mood for any type of food in the mornings before school.

Learn to pick your battles and the time for them. First thing in the morning ISN'T a good time.
    This particular battle has very little to do with food.
    Breakfast is an important meal but unless he has an eating disorder he won't starve without it. If the choice is porridge or coco pops when he'll take the cocopops and the victory over you. If 'winning' this one is important to you make it a choice between porridge or nothing but I'd let him have this little pleasure at getting you to bend on breakfast and save your energy for the real battles that are to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would it work if in future you did not buy coco pops or similar junk "cereal" so that there simply was no other option than to have porridge? Or would that just result in drama at grocery shopping time?
    That would just seem to be a logical solution to me - if it isn't in the house, he can't eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

I almost never ate breakfast when in school. I had proper nutrition as child otherwise but I never liked early breakfasts and would eat them only during weekends and later in the morning. In fact I only started eating breakfast everyday in my late twenties. Maybe packing an extra banana or something to eat before lunch break would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I never ate breakfast as a child and i dont as an adult... (only exception is when i am in a hotel)

My daughter has to eat b-fast as she has to take insulin with it, she has no choice in the matter, she will eat cereals/toast/eggs/crumpets/fruit/cooked full irish/ yogurts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I never ate breakfast as a child and i dont as an adult... (only exception is when i am in a hotel)

My daughter has to eat b-fast as she has to take insulin with it, she has no choice in the matter, she will eat cereals/toast/eggs/crumpets/fruit/cooked full irish/ yogurts

my 11 yr old is very bad when it comes to breakfast too, but even if she drinks an acitmel or something, i feel its better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

My placid and relaxed 10yr old has morphed into a hormonal, moody little pain over the past 6wks!!! Everything seems to be a battle with him..it's not that he's being bold, but he questions everything when previously, this child would have done whatever I asked, without batting an eyelid!!:p

Anyhow, breakfast is a constant battle. He is a good eater generally, but doesn't seem to be in the mood for any type of food in the mornings before school. I have reluctantly gone back to those awful coco-pops, which I believe haven't got an ounce of nutrition in them (despite what it says on the box!!), because I also decided that getting a bowl of rubbish into him before he goes to school is better than a half hour battle to get a teaspoon of porridge/weetabix or toast into him!!

Anyone having this issue and any alternatives to that dreadful cereal!!!

Sounds very very familiar indeed, we have a 10yr boy who would argue with his fingernails in the morning, breakfast is a constant struggle, however he is also a lover of that slop you refer to (Coco pops), but as you rightly stated it’s better that they get something into the little stomachs rather that going to school on an empty tank. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Sounds very very familiar indeed, we have a 10yr boy who would argue with his fingernails in the morning, breakfast is a constant struggle, however he is also a lover of that slop you refer to (Coco pops), but as you rightly stated it’s better that they get something into the little stomachs rather that going to school on an empty tank. :eek:

Do you think there's ANY nutrition in them at all? I convince myself that he is getting the goodness out of the milk, but no doubt the fact that it turns into chocolate milk, defeats the purpose:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I heard a dietician speaking recently- in terms of cereal,porridge is the best breakfast followed by weetabix.
    The rest are way down the list in terms of nutritional value.
    Having said that,I'd imagine it's better to have any cereal with milk, rather than head out for the day with no breakfast.
    Ours have weetabix with/without a banana- or muesli with no added sugar.

"Breakfast like a king,lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Are eggs an option?
    It doesn't take that long to scramble an egg in the morning and growing kids esp boys need all the protien we can pack into them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

How about making porridge pancakes? They are healthy and filling yet feel like a treat. There is thread on them here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055002535

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Hi Fittle
    I totally get where you're coming from as I have 2 teenagers who barely eat cereal in the mornings. I get them to drink some orange juice and I bought Weetos instead of coco pops. They're still a bit chocolatey but they're by weetabix so it's kind of a compromise. They love them.

Thanks all.

He is generally a good eater and would normally devour eggs (he particularly loves 'egg in a cup' - boiled egg mushed up in a cup with some butter and bits of bread!) and would probably eat those porridge pancakes too - at weekends.

It just seems like it's all too early for him - he's a bit of a morning person (like myself) so his mood is generally good early morning, gets a good 10hours sleep most nights and at weekends, devours any breakfast at about 10am, no problem.

It just seems to be 7.30 - 8am he can't stomach anything...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Noah and Ebony

Sure Even if he ate an orange or aa slice of toast its better then nothing

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What time is his earliest break at school? Could you give him a good mid morning snack that would make up for a not great breakfast? It's pretty easy to make something like oat bars from porridge (and you could make up a week's worth in advance) which would be nutritious and filling if he ate one around 11am.

They stopped doing an early break (10.30am) in 2nd class...since 3rd class (last year), they just get big break which is at 12.15...so it's a long time from breakfast to that break!
    This morning he had 2 peaches and an actimel...I'm sure he'll be starving by lunchtime but he's old enough to understand I guess...at the weekend, he had two fine healthy breakfasts at about 10am each morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

They stopped doing an early break (10.30am) in 2nd class...since 3rd class (last year), they just get big break which is at 12.15...so it's a long time from breakfast to that break!
    This morning he had 2 peaches and an actimel...I'm sure he'll be starving by lunchtime but he's old enough to understand I guess...at the weekend, he had two fine healthy breakfasts at about 10am each morning...

thats a very long time gap from breakfast to lunch. Mine would have breakfast by 8am and by 12.15 they'd be posivitely starving, not to mention them just needing a fresh air break anyway. Also, I thought schools had to have a small and a big break to fit in to the Dept of Education guidelines. I know when I was on BOM few years ago, and the infants used to go home early the Dept pulled the school up at a school evaluation and we had to change school times to ensure kids got 2 breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Do you think there's ANY nutrition in them at all? I convince myself that he is getting the goodness out of the milk, but no doubt the fact that it turns into chocolate milk, defeats the purpose:rolleyes:

Comparison of Tesco Finest Scottish Porridge & Coco Pops
    (100 grammes)
    • Calories: 388 / 380
    • Protein: 11.0g /5.1g
    • Salt: 0g / 0.6 g
    • Fat: 8.0g / 1.9g
    • Fibre: 9g / 0.6g
    • Carbohydrates: 60g/ 88g
    • (of which sugars) : 2g / 36g
    • Vitamins & Minerals: None/ Lots

Sources: 1 2

So Coco pops probably just about wins out on nutritional value. :D (a lot of that will be due to added vit and minerals)

However, the whole point about porridge is that the energy it gives is released slowly, making it ideal for breakfast.

Naturally the nutritional value of the milk is unaffected by whatever cereal it is used with. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Carton Smoothies, croissants, brioches, fruit. Anything she can eat on the walk to her bus stop.

Although I like her having a hot cereal in winter to warm her up first. Shreddies or weetabix.

Younger kids are a nightmare, even at the weekend my boys need to be up a couple of hours before they are ready to eat. I force feed them shreddies and oj in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

I had my youngest at the doctor recently and we were talking about her diet. I was telling her she was currently eating Wheetos for breakfast and she said to keep her on them as there was actually wholegrain and fibre in them. They would be a good cereal if he's insisting on eating something chocolately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

It's really difficult to find something quick and healthy in the morning. Mine will not even entertain the idea of porridge.
    Lately, it's been a bagel and actimel or Yakult.

I buy a bunch of bananas in hope, but usually end up making banana bread...which nobody eats....either way, bananas in bin! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Now that it's back to school it's Porridge made over night in the slow cooker and a range of toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Sharrow wrote: »
    Now that it's back to school it's Porridge made over night in the slow cooker and a range of toppings.

Same as that. Porridge Monday-Friday. Weekends is whatever's going:)

After years and years of him being a fussy eater, he now has a really healthy appetite and a love for healthy food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Perhaps we are all missing the point here...Did he eat breakfast at all before going to school. Perhaps he's a bit nervous going to school due to something happening in there.
    I remember my school days, hated every minute as I was slagged a lot , anyway, I could never eat much in the morning cause of the nerves...Once I got in in I was kinda ok but as a result I cant eat much in the mornings.
    Sorry, if I'm off the mark here, only read 3 or 4 of the comments but you never know, specially that age. Get him when he's relaxed and ask him if all is ok in the class. Sometimes it take a few goes b4 they'll tell you. Agian, sorry if everything is ok there. Perhaps hes just changing. As you said better to have a bowl of crap pops than nothing. Mine like the cherios!! And toast. lol.
    Cheers :)

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

1 glass of milk
    1 boiled egg
    2pcs toast
    2pcs sausages

Advertisement