Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G&G Raider Upgrade

Options
  • 14-06-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Guys

Looking to upgrade my raider so I'm thinking hop up and a barrel. pretty sure the model i have is the GR15 any recommendations?

Could i do it myself or am i best taking it some place to get it done, based in North Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Faolchu wrote: »
    Guys

Looking to upgrade my raider so I'm thinking hop up and a barrel. pretty sure the model i have is the GR15 any recommendations?

Could i do it myself or am i best taking it some place to get it done, based in North Dublin.

Honestly you dont have to be mechanically minded to do this, have a look on youtube for some tutorials if you want, but you should be able to figure it out yourself no problem..its not going to burst into flames or anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

To change the barrel and hop, as Southern Dandy said, is not particularly difficult.

Pop out the front receiver pin, hold onto the charging handle and slide the top receiver off (make sure the dust cover is up, or it might feel like it's stuck ;) )

Once they're separated remove the charging handle and spring from lower, just to stop it falling and going walkabout.

Remove the barrel and hop up chamber from the upper receiver (it just pulls out of the outer barrel). Turn the hop all the way off and hold it upside down (feed tube facing up), and remove the green cir-clip. Hold the barrel firmly, and apply downward pressure in the chamber and pull it out (wriggle gently) and you should be able to get barrel and hop out in one.

Just for the record, the raider comes with the G&G green rubber as far as I know, and that is (in my opinion) one of the best on the market. I'd just be changing the barrel if I were you, and maybe the hop up nub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

nice one lads. I'll start with the barrel so and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Inari wrote: »
    To change the barrel and hop, as Southern Dandy said, is not particularly difficult.

Pop out the front receiver pin, hold onto the charging handle and slide the top receiver off (make sure the dust cover is up, or it might feel like it's stuck ;) )

Once they're separated remove the charging handle and spring from lower, just to stop it falling and going walkabout.

Remove the barrel and hop up chamber from the upper receiver (it just pulls out of the outer barrel). Turn the hop all the way off and hold it upside down (feed tube facing up), and remove the green cir-clip. Hold the barrel firmly, and apply downward pressure in the chamber and pull it out (wriggle gently) and you should be able to get barrel and hop out in one.

Just for the record, the raider comes with the G&G green rubber as far as I know, and that is (in my opinion) one of the best on the market. I'd just be changing the barrel if I were you, and maybe the hop up nub

+1 on the green hop up rubber. I use a 363mm Python Black VII and a H-hop up nub in my Raider, the H-Hop along with the green works amazingly. I used a barrel extension to cover the longer barrel length as I have the shorter Raider

yeah i have the short one too, so I'll probably have to do that or maybe see can i get a shorter barrel.

• Advertisement

yeah i have the short one too, so I'll probably have to do that or maybe see can i get a shorter barrel.

or get a suppressor :).. i had a spare outer barrel at home from when i sold my SCAR but a suppressor will do the trick, I personally find the Stock barrel in the short Raider to be a little too small to reach out to targets..

cheers extra range is a good idea. I'll look into barrel extensions they should be easy enough to get

found some decent videos thanks lads, I'm right in thinking I'd need a better quality BB once this is done, any recommendations? my local supplier does King Arms platinum should they be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

King Arms platinum are grand. I'm a firm believer in the King Arms .25 Bio (just because we love guns, doesn't mean we don't have to love the environment :D). Then again, .25's in an AEG aren't everyone's cuppa, due to slight decreases in range, but I'm all for the extra accuracy.

Unsinnig wrote: »
    King Arms platinum are grand. I'm a firm believer in the King Arms .25 Bio (just because we love guns, doesn't mean we don't have to love the environment :D). Then again, .25's in an AEG aren't everyone's cuppa, due to slight decreases in range, but I'm all for the extra accuracy.

I use .25's :) think they're great too. I used .23's made by ICS and they were absolutely amazing but that was a long time ago and just never bothered getting them again, I use King Arm's BB's, stay away from the G&G ones, they used to be the BB but they have gone so bad :(. also recommend Excels :)

• Advertisement

took all of a minute to get at the barrel thanks lads.

last question I promise :D

T4RGET I'm thinking of going for the 363 barrel as you've suggested. the existing one is 233mm leaving 130mm poking out. as you've said an extender or silencer to cover it would be needed, and i've seen the silencer i want here basically the insignia will match my loadout coz i have USAF ABUs so it'd be nice to tie it all in. but the silencer is 165mm in length, leaving 35mm longer than the inner barrel, would that cause a problem? i've heard of people who have put longer inner barrels in and a silencer and there has been cases where they dont line up right. would you reckon that he 35mm is too much of a gap from the end of the barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

If your upgrading the barrel go with a tk twist and gaurder clear hop will give ya nice accuracy and range

took all of a minute to get at the barrel thanks lads.

last question I promise :D

T4RGET I'm thinking of going for the 363 barrel as you've suggested. the existing one is 233mm leaving 130mm poking out. as you've said an extender or silencer to cover it would be needed, and i've seen the silencer i want here basically the insignia will match my loadout coz i have USAF ABUs so it'd be nice to tie it all in. but the silencer is 165mm in length, leaving 35mm longer than the inner barrel, would that cause a problem? i've heard of people who have put longer inner barrels in and a silencer and there has been cases where they dont line up right. would you reckon that he 35mm is too much of a gap from the end of the barrel?

I honestly cannot see that being a problem tbh. think about people that use the suppressor without an extended barrel, that means if you have a 233mm for example and a 165mm suppressor that means it's now longer by 165mm, so your 35mm cannot possibly cause any problems I could see. I've used suppressors before without problem, I'd say the problem you've heard is when the outer barrel itself is bent, which would cause the BB to hit of the edge of the suppressor as it leaves. but other than that i cannot see it being a problem

after much struggle its done. struggle in that the thread at teh top of teh raider was a bit messed up somehow. so when i put a silencer on it wasnt sitting straight so teh inner barrel wasnt clear of teh "out hole"

andyway sorted after much sweat and cursing.

inside i have Madbull blue hop up rubber and the madbull 6.03 black python tight bore. thanks for the help lads it was a very straight forward job and if i hadnt had the issue with the silencer i'd say it would have been done in about 10 minutes

lads while upgrading the barrel of my raider i found it difficult to remove the flash hider, after some effort and WD40 it came off. in the process of putting my silencer on I noticed that the front threads are cross threaded ie when i put the silencer on its not straight.

now in the past i went on my ass and the front of my AEG decided to go into some mud, i took the flash hider off and cleaned it out (luck would have it that nothing went into the inner barrel) and i put it back on, but i guess i may have screwed it in wrong and damaged the threads.

anyway when placing the silence on i had some difficulty aligning the new inner barrel and the end of the silencer. eventually i gut there but on saturday when i was out i noticed something. when i fire the BBs are not flying that straight. now the end of the inner barrel is right on the edge of the silence so its not a case of the BBs coming out and striking the inside of the silencer so i'm thinking that because the silencer isnt dead straight that it may be putting a slight bend on the inner barrel.

also saturday night the whol front sight assembly came off.

if you look at this pic its the whole front sight assembly (circled in red), the triangle bit that joins to the RIs system if that makes sense.

So i'm wondering can i get replacement parts for the front of the raider? I'm assuming whil tring to get teh flash hider off i may have applied too much pressure and knocked something loose.

if i cant get just the front sight part i assume i need a whole upper reciever i'm going to assume that they are not interchangable with other makers, that i'd need a G&G one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

andy_g wrote: »
    If your upgrading the barrel go with a tk twist and gaurder clear hop will give ya nice accuracy and range

Don't do this if you want to shoot on full auto. The twist barrels are designed for semi auto only, and if you start shooting on full auto you'll see absolute chaos take over.

You'd be better using a 6.03mm tightbore, and forgoing the TK, as they're just too expensive for what they give. (And yes, I've used one in a TM L96 and it was sh*te)

lads while upgrading the barrel of my raider i found it difficult to remove the flash hider, after some effort and WD40 it came off. in the process of putting my silencer on I noticed that the front threads are cross threaded ie when i put the silencer on its not straight.

now in the past i went on my ass and the front of my AEG decided to go into some mud, i took the flash hider off and cleaned it out (luck would have it that nothing went into the inner barrel) and i put it back on, but i guess i may have screwed it in wrong and damaged the threads.

anyway when placing the silence on i had some difficulty aligning the new inner barrel and the end of the silencer. eventually i gut there but on saturday when i was out i noticed something. when i fire the BBs are not flying that straight. now the end of the inner barrel is right on the edge of the silence so its not a case of the BBs coming out and striking the inside of the silencer so i'm thinking that because the silencer isnt dead straight that it may be putting a slight bend on the inner barrel.

also saturday night the whol front sight assembly came off.

if you look at this pic its the whole front sight assembly (circled in red), the triangle bit that joins to the RIs system if that makes sense.

So i'm wondering can i get replacement parts for the front of the raider? I'm assuming whil tring to get teh flash hider off i may have applied too much pressure and knocked something loose.

if i cant get just the front sight part i assume i need a whole upper reciever i'm going to assume that they are not interchangable with other makers, that i'd need a G&G one

that whole front assembly is a common problem and very easy to fix if you still have it that is. first remove the two allen screws on the top and bottom of the RIS, towards the front, now you should be able to push the metal plate downwards (the metal plate thatstops you being able to see straight down the side of the outer barrel, if that makes sense) now there are two holes, one on each side of the Rail System, left and right, again towards the front, look in those holes and you should be able to see two small allen screw grub scews (they're located on the front assembly so if you haven't put it back yet they will be on that) then put the front assembly back onto the outer barrel and tighten these grub screws, then push the metal plate back up towards the front sight and screw the allen screws back in that go through the rail system. that should keep teh front assembly together, just keep tighten those two little grub screws every so often.
    it may seem confusing but just keep reading it as you work through it and hopefully it will make sense

T4RGET as ever a font on knowledge, i'll give it a blast this weekend.

T4RGET as ever a font on knowledge, i'll give it a blast this weekend.

why thank you sir :) if it doesn't make sense, post back.

Had a gander tonight I can see the parts you're talking about, now I don't have the right size keys but it looks easy enough. Looking at it it seems there's two tiny nuts on the triangle front sight that look like they hold it to the barell. I may have to remive the ris rails to get at them or maybe not the light wasn't great tonight. Also it seems the ris is loose so that may be why the barrel isn't exactly straight. I'll strip her when I get back from holiday. I owe you a beer dude.

• Advertisement

Had a gander tonight I can see the parts you're talking about, now I don't have the right size keys but it looks easy enough. Looking at it it seems there's two tiny nuts on the triangle front sight that look like they hold it to the barell. I may have to remive the ris rails to get at them or maybe not the light wasn't great tonight. Also it seems the ris is loose so that may be why the barrel isn't exactly straight. I'll strip her when I get back from holiday. I owe you a beer dude.

the entire RIS can be tightened by tightening the two allen keys located in the same place as the ones mentioned before but towards the back of the rail system. you shouldn't have to remove the RIS to get to the grub screws holding the barrel in, just loosen them a bit on the front assembly, push down the metal plate. then push the front assembly onto the outer barrel and you should be able to reach the grub screws through holes on the side of the rails, then push the metal plate back up and tighten back up all the allen screws.
    :)

Worked a treat mate cheers

Worked a treat mate cheers

my pleasure mate, any time

Advertisement