Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp pro slowing down

Options
  • 14-06-2012 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    I'm using xp pro and its getting slower, i've removed some of programs, but has not changed speed, is there anything else i can do, any free software i can get to speed it up,
    many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

have you deffraged the hard disk:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

I find Windows Deffrager slow, but it gets the job done, i use O&O Defrager, i find it the best.

You can try:

http://download.cnet.com

see if they have a trial, or a free defragger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Download Spybot search and destroy or Malwarebytes, update and scan, should speed things up a bit

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget that windows has a half life, it decays gradually and sometimes, if all else has failed and you have plenty of time and all the disks and drivers to hand and a full tested backup it may be worth considering a clean install, maybe

if it has suddenly gotten slow check for malware
    make sure you have 10-15% of disk space free

if you have more than 1GB of RAM consider turning OFF virtual memory to see if that makes a difference

frequent defragmenting is snake oil , something to do if you've never ever done it before

ccleaner is handy for removing some clutter too

make sure you have everything patched up to date

consider replacing bloatware like adobe acrobat with sumatra or foxit

check places like www.shop4memory.com to see what type of RAM and rough costs for your machine, use cupid to see how many slots you have free / exact match for the RAM

Do not forget to take into account that web sites are getting bloated and using far more scripts so will be slower than in the past

if using firefox then leaving a gmail tab open all the time can cripple your machine

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi, thanks for quick replys,
    I have deffraged hard drive, my disk size, ( hope i've looked at if right, c drive and then proteritres) let me know if i'm wrong :) ) 148GB. used space 32.0GB free space 114 GB,
    it just slowed down over time, i'll search for ccleaner, and spybot .
    Thanks to you all for your help :)

Advertisement