Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swollen piercing and underage..

Options
  • 14-06-2012 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Hi

so last week I got a prince albert done and in the last few days its after swelling beyond belief. It's all red and the area around the piercing is seeping. I've looked online but there's no answers so i'm not really sure what to do? I'm 17 but I used my friend's ID to get the piercing done as my parents wouldnt allow it. if any of you have any ideas on what to do PLEASE tell me. i don't even think I can take it out.. Is there anything I can do myself without going back to the studio and having to fork out another few quid?

I'm abit embarassed asking here (especially due to my age and risk of identification..) so hopefully if I get a few answers, I'll be able to delete this thread as quick as possible :/ Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Hi

so last week I got a prince albert done and in the last few days its after swelling beyond belief. It's all red and the area around the piercing is seeping. I've looked online but there's no answers so i'm not really sure what to do? I'm 17 but I used my friend's ID to get the piercing done as my parents wouldnt allow it. if any of you have any ideas on what to do PLEASE tell me. i don't even think I can take it out.. Is there anything I can do myself without going back to the studio and having to fork out another few quid?

I'm abit embarassed asking here (especially due to my age and risk of identification..) so hopefully if I get a few answers, I'll be able to delete this thread as quick as possible :/ Thanks in advance.
    GO. TO. A. DOCTOR.

NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

endacl wrote: »
    GO. TO. A. DOCTOR.

NOW.

Is there any other way??
    Risking my parents finding out is not an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Get to a doctor!!! whats worse? your parents finding out about the piercing or getting a horrible infection??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

GO. TO. A. DOCTOR.

NOW.

Is there any other way??
    Dettol in hot water. But the best and easiest way is go to the doctor. How would your parents find out if u did??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

GO. TO. A. DOCTOR.

NOW.

Is there any other way??
    Doctors cant tell your parents due to patient confidentiality.

• Advertisement

I don't have that much money so I'd need to ask the parents.

I'll try the dettol and hot water first though and get back to you. Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Do NOT take the piercing out.

I think you've got your priorities wrong here. Your health is more important than your parents finding out. It's hard to say if it's infected though, it could just be natural swelling. What kind of fluid is seeping from the piercing? If it's not clear, you're probably in trouble.

How have you been caring for the piercing?

Edit: If your piercer is reputable they should be willing to take a look at the piercing and advise you as to whether you need to see a doctor, free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Do not use dettol on it! It's far too harsh! A regular antibacterial soap or a saline soak are your best options.

If you think its infected go back to your piercer, they will know best.

I'll try the dettol and hot water first though and get back to you. Thanks lads!
    Use the cotton buds with it. And if it starts to leak fluid thats not clear or smells bad u will realy have to get it checked out. But dettol is pretty good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

You are 17, your doctor cannot ethically mention your visit to anyone, never mind the subject matter!! Although, when I went to get the pill years ago, I was sitting in the surgery waiting to go in and my Mum walked in!! What's wrong with you?? I have a sore arm:o Needless to say I had to tell her eventually, she thought I was up the duff;) So before you go just take note of those around you, their current health status and make sure they are not on their way to the doc too!!

• Advertisement

Do not use dettol on it! It's far too harsh! A regular antibacterial soap or a saline soak are your best options.

If you think its infected go back to your piercer, they will know best.

If diluted properly its fine. I only just used it the last week on an infected toe.

Seriously. Doctor. Dettol will do nothing for an infection that's already established. A doctor will.

Tell your folks if you need to. Consider the embarrassment to be a lesson well learned. Would you rather have to tell them you've to go to hospital because your dick rotted off?

Doctor. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Dettol is not recommended for piercings, it is too harsh.

Have you been doing sea salt soaks?

Go to your piercer if you really are worried, they will know best (assuming it was a reputable piercers in the first place.)

Seriously. Doctor. Dettol will do nothing for an infection that's already established. A doctor will.

Tell your folks if you need to. Consider the embarrassment to be a lesson well learned. Would you rather have to tell them you've to go to hospital because your dick rotted off?

Doctor. Now.
    Dettol is a disinfectant? Its better than nothing.

I think some of the recommendations are sailing pretty close to 'medical advice' waters. If the OP is underage, and describing symptoms that sound like an infection..... doctor, I think....?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Definitely go to the doctor as endacl said. Happened to my Princess Diana a few months ago. Went to the doctor, had it surgically removed (all very discreetly of course, even the VHI bill didn't disclose what it was for) and was prescribed some cream for it. Within a week of using the cream, the swelling all went away. But definitely go to the doctor.

PucaMama wrote: »

Doctor. Now.
    It is indeed. And is great for disinfecting surfaces. Like counter tops and toilets. Not internal infections. You're not suggesting the OP injects it, I presume...?

PucaMama wrote: »

Doctor. Now.
    It is indeed. And is great for disinfecting surfaces. Like counter tops and toilets. Not internal infections. You're not suggesting the OP injects it, I presume...?
    Oh but of course I am!!!!! Not. Dabbing it around the piercing will do fine. The power of disinfectant doesnt change just because its out of the kitchen.

OP, I get the impression you're looking for a magic 'get out of jail free' solution here, where the problem goes away and nobody has to find out. You won't get one because there isn't one to give. Seriously, go see a doctor and get it taken care of.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. And yes, the seeping substance isn't a clear colour, it's yellow so think I've definitely got something.
    And we have no sort of disinfectant in the house. Might just go to the doctor because it is getting relatively sore and the thought of my dick "rotting off" isn't exactly pleasent. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully the rents won't find out :/ (fml fml fml......)

The sh!t I do for my girlfriend....

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. And yes, the seeping substance isn't a clear colour, it's yellow so think I've definitely got something.
    And we have no sort of disinfectant in the house. Might just go to the doctor because it is getting relatively sore and the thought of my dick "rotting off" isn't exactly pleasent. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully the rents won't find out :/ (fml fml fml......)

Good man. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Go to your GP! Once you hit 16, your GP cannot discuss your medical stuff with your parents without your concent -unless you are a danger to yourself or others.

Well, that's what my GP told me when I hit 16 and needed help for something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

THIS is why we recommend not getting pierced or tattooed underage.

1 - it sounds like you've not done the after care properly and now you've got yourself in trouble for it.
    2 - you seem more concerned with keeping it from your parents
    3 - sounds like you may have caved to pressure to get it done rather than doing it for yourself and yourself only.

I hope you get yourself to the doctor first thing tomorrow morning! Do NOT follow the recommendation of using dettol or anything similar on the piercing. When you have to go to the toilet, fill a plastic cup, or failing that, a glass or mug with warm (not hot!) water. Sit on the toilet, put your penis into the cup/glass, holding it over the toilet, "pinch" yourself to control the flow, and pee SLOWLY into the cup. You should have been doing this all along, start ASAP and get to the doctor first thing today. Do not make excuses or think you'll be okay. You've developed an infection in one of the easiest piercings to heal. This needs looked after PROFESSIONALLY as soon as possible. Failing to do so could result in blood poisoning, which will put you in hospital, and then your parents will definitely find out

At 17 your body is still growing, meaning the chances of the piercing causing damage and/or rejecting are much much higher, which is another reason you should not have got this done, and had you been come to us looking for advice before getting it, we could have warned you about this.

I hope you get to the doctor and get this sorted ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I actually think that with the OP's permission, this thread should be stickied, along with any others like it, to refer underage posters towards when they ask about getting ink or piercings done while under 18.

We aul ones (even at 25!) can talk and talk about waiting until you're 18, blah blah, but younger posters have shown that they generally won't listen. Hearing the words of someone who is 16/17 and has an infected penis piercing, or a dreadful tattoo might actually have more of an effect.

Just my thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I actually think that with the OP's permission, this thread should be stickied, along with any others like it, to refer underage posters towards when they ask about getting ink or piercings done while under 18.

We aul ones (even at 25!) can talk and talk about waiting until you're 18, blah blah, but younger posters have shown that they generally won't listen. Hearing the words of someone who is 16/17 and has an infected penis piercing, or a dreadful tattoo might actually have more of an effect.

Just my thought.

I doubt it would have much of an effect to be honest. There's often an attitude of "yeah but that's not going to happen to me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

finality wrote: »
    I doubt it would have much of an effect to be honest. There's often an attitude of "yeah but that's not going to happen to me!"

If it manages to discourage even one underage person away, it'll have been a success in my book.

Lads, this was an elaborate brape. Just look at the other posts from my account at the time. I can safely say that my penis isn't swollen or infected nor does it have a piercing through it (didn't know what a Prince Albert was so had to Google it. Why would someone do that?! Cannot unsee it :()

So ya, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Dip it in toilet duck for the laugh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lads, this was an elaborate brape. Just look at the other posts from my account at the time. I can safely say that my penis isn't swollen or infected nor does it have a piercing through it (didn't know what a Prince Albert was so had to Google it. Why would someone do that?! Cannot unsee it :()

So ya, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I think and with that thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement