Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

herbal cigs a setback?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

ok, im off fags about 8 hours, ive been smoking for the last 11 years or so!! :o never tried to give up before, i always liked the ol fag and never worried about the health problems. but now, not anymore, i cant afford them, im trying to get fit and healthy, and i dont want to wake up some day and find my body withered with no way of fixing it!!!

i have a box of herbal fags, in my drawer. i bought them in Holland and Barrett about 6 months ago. smoked one, didnt like it, and havent touched them since.

but the past few hours have been quite difficult. my last ever fag was only at 4pm today.

if i had a one of the herbal fags,would you consider it a setback?
    is it just goin to make my giving up harder and more dragged out? (im presuming it will)
    has anyone used them as a substitute in the first few days/weeks of giving up???
    not looking for medical advice or anything like that, just want to know if any smokers/ex-smokers have tried herbal fags as a substitute and how they found them.
    thanks in advance. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'm not even sure if you're still off them but.....don't smoke anything. It's smoking that kills you, and doesn't really matter what it is you're smoking.

Finding it tough at 8 hours is a pure mental thing. You're just putting pressure on yourself. I'm sure you can sleep for 8 with no craving.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

yeah still off them :)! really? you think finding it tough after four hours is mad? tbh i dont think so. i was kind of expecting the first couple of hours to be the hardest. i didnt wake up and say "no fags ever again". i had planned that when i finished the box, there would be no more!! but yesterday evening, i did my normal thing, had a cuppa, watched the tv, this is when i would enjoy the fag the most. id be watching a program and get up during the ads and sit out the back with a fag (not EVERY ad time, but about ever hour or so). so i suppose last night i did miss them loads.

my boyfriend and i even made a little bit of a fuss about it being my last fag. he belted out the graduation tune and took a picture of me smoking it and all. lol.

but i didnt have a herbal fag last night.. i did today tho!:-/ at about 6.30. smoking is practically all i could think about for the afternoon. so i had a herbal one, and it was disgusting. but i havent had too bad craving since. not saying the herbal fag worked a miracle on me, but im not too bad now. im not planning on smoking a herbal fag anytime i get a craving, just if it gets really bad. im hoping the box will at least last me the next month.

Like I said it's smoking. You're trying to give up smoking. I really don't see the point in smoking if you're trying to give up smoking.

What you're craving is nicotine. Not smoke. So if you smoke you're not getting nic and you're just inhaling tar, and whatever other horrible things result in combusting vegetable matter, for NOTHING. Not even your nicotine hit.

But knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 greengirl1968

Hi there, am also attempting to cut out the cigs, I've had a recent relapse with them but I'm going to try the e-cigarrette again - you can buy it on the net - I'm waiting for refill cartridges to be delivered but at least it doesn't have all the nasty chemicals that are in real cigs and it really does help as it looks and tastes like a cig :) - hope this helps!

@greengirl - thanks for reply! yeah have heard about the e-cigarette, but i know nothing about them. might give it a go alright, thats if the herbal ones dont do anything for me after a while!! but hopefully by then, the cravings wont be bad at all!!! :-)

i know you're inhaling tar with the herbal fags, but i think if it will work for me for a good few weeks, then grand. id actually prefer use these more so than Nicorette products. As I said, im not going to smoke these cigarettes as much as i would regular fags. also, as I said, im aiming for these herbals to last me at least a month, maybe 2 months! thats working out at about 2-3 herbal fags a week. after trying it today, i dont feel as panicy right now as i did yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

poozers wrote: »
    if i had a one of the herbal fags,would you consider it a setback?
    is it just goin to make my giving up harder and more dragged out? (im presuming it will)

Sorry I misunderstood. Having read the above post I thought you were asking for opinions.

Like I said, knock yourself out.

Edit to add; It's the smoking that's bad. Not the nicotine. But you intend on continuing with smoking instead of NRT.

What's the point in smoking herbal cigarettes? I'm curious. Genuinely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Have a good read of this forum if you are going with the e-cigs.

What's the point in smoking herbal cigarettes? I'm curious. Genuinely.[/QUOTE

well, i suppose its the habit of smoking that im finding hard, like having the one after a meal or during the ads or with a cuppa tea. and i dont want to avoid doing things where i would normally smoke, cos then i think its just running away from them.

i suppose the herbal cigarettes are there when im just not able to distract myself with something. where all i can think about is fags and can feel it in my gut!
    like yesterday, i just felt hopeless and like i couldnt do it. so i had a herbal fag, and honestly it was enough to satisfy me, and to give me a bit of encouragement. see, im not getting the nicotine from the herbal fags so i dont see it as a setback from a physical point of view, like my body isnt in a position of getting a tiny taste of the nicotine and would want more. so its just from the distractions point of view.
    i think the weaker the nicotine cravings get as time goes on, the less and less i'll need a herbal fag.

you said its the smoking thats bad, not the nicotine. well its the nicotine thats addictive. i believe that once i have conquered the actual chemical addiction, breaking the actual habit of smoking wont be too tough.

I hear that. And I was in a similar ish position myself, moreso when it came to a social drink. I preempted this by investing in an "ego C" vaping device.

I got a kit and a few 0 nic juices. I was off the smokes about a month before I tried it. I found it great!

If I'm boozing and I get the urge, a few hits totally satisfies that want. I even get a mild throat hit w my new "ego C twist" set at high voltage.

I highly recommend this over herbal fags. 60 quid should sort you out. Look at the link Stevenmuu posted.

Good luck on your quest! It's totally doable, worst bit is over you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You either want to give up smoking or you don't simple as, i smoked for 11 years and the only way to quit is to go cold turkey. I would recommend giving up the drink for a while too as my only downfall was when i would go out for a few drinks i would smoke. I'm off them a year and a half now and i don't drink as much either as a result, I see both as being pointless and a waste of both time and money. The smell of smokes make me sick now cant stand them and i used to smoke 40 a day.;):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement