Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Challenge to Gaelforce West - how bad an idea?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 11:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Trying to decide whether or not to give Gaelforce West a go.

I completed the Connemara Challenge this year with my girlfriend and a group of friends with a grand total of zero hours dedicated training (strength sport/BJJ/crossfit background). I did a 5km run about 2 weeks before to see how it felt and was grand so gave it a go, I think my last run was a 10km about 6 months before.

Got thru the course in 3hr 17m, which obviously isn't fantastic but could probably have gone under 3hr if we didn't do it as a group. But... on the day we were blessed with perfect weather - I don't know how bad it would have been if the following days weather was on race day.

I have been doing 35-50min trail/park runs 1x per week since then (4 runs, not bothering to worry about distance) but no bike work. The Connemara Challenge was my first time on a bike in years and I was a bit of a fish out of water (17km took the guts of 53+mins).

I could run a hard 2km in 4m 05s to 4m 15s/km if I pushed it, but wouldn't be much good for anything afterwards. 10km falls in around 55-60m moving at a comfortable pace (HR < 160bpm average).

It's about 2 months to Gaelforce West, just wondering is there enough of a base there to build on and give it a go?

I'm not particularly interested in "a time" this year, just getting around it for the experience.

Any thoughts would be fantastic.

Thank you!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Two months is plenty to train to get around the course. The bike can be the toughest. Get in some decent length spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Not a bad idea at all, definitely go for it!

I was in a very similar situation last year: took up running the previous winter and the Connemara Adventure Challenge was my first ever race of any kind to enter. I kept training afterwards and completed Gaelforce West in just under 7 hours. It was a tough but absolutely brilliant experience and I'm going again this year.

Definitely agree with the earlier recommendation to get out on the bike and up and down as many hills as you can. It will make a big difference and for the love of God don't use a mountain bike! (they're too heavy).

It's also well worth having a practice climb up and down the race route on Croagh Patrick over the summer: I'd climbed it a few times over the years but I met several fellow greenhorn Gaelforce entrants on the street in Westport the night before who refused to believe that the hulking mountain towering over the town with its summit wreathed in clouds really was what they would be tackling the next day! :eek: :)

It's a fantastic experience, great feeling of achievement afterwards that you went all that way under your own steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

Definately you can do it if you keep up the training between now and then. I completed Connemara last year in 3hr and GF in 5:37. Do plenty of hill runs, do a few IMRA races. Mountain biking can be good training to build muscles and build skills for off road bit of cycle but get in some long spins on road bike too, maybe do some An Post sportives over the summer and definaltey use a road bike or cyclocross bike on race day.

And defintely get up croagh patrick in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Not a bad idea at all, definitely go for it!

I was in a very similar situation last year: took up running the previous winter and the Connemara Adventure Challenge was my first ever race of any kind to enter. I kept training afterwards and completed Gaelforce West in just under 7 hours. It was a tough but absolutely brilliant experience and I'm going again this year.

Wahey, I'm not mad so. Brilliant :)
    Definitely agree with the earlier recommendation to get out on the bike and up and down as many hills as you can. It will make a big difference and for the love of God don't use a mountain bike! (they're too heavy).

It's also well worth having a practice climb up and down the race route on Croagh Patrick over the summer: I'd climbed it a few times over the years but I met several fellow greenhorn Gaelforce entrants on the street in Westport the night before who refused to believe that the hulking mountain towering over the town with its summit wreathed in clouds really was what they would be tackling the next day! :eek: :)

It's a fantastic experience, great feeling of achievement afterwards that you went all that way under your own steam.

Will be on my bike from tomorrow hopefully. Dropped The Beast in to get it looked at and get some slicks fitted (it's a rigid Specialized Hardrock Comp).

It's unlikely I'll get down to try out Croagh Patrick before the event (Dublin based ya see...). Might climb the sugarloaf for time instead? Might have to go up and down it 2x because it seems to only be about 65% the height of Croagh Patrick.

Thanks for the message of support!! :D

Definately you can do it if you keep up the training between now and then. I completed Connemara last year in 3hr and GF in 5:37. Do plenty of hill runs, do a few IMRA races. Mountain biking can be good training to build muscles and build skills for off road bit of cycle but get in some long spins on road bike too, maybe do some An Post sportives over the summer and definaltey use a road bike or cyclocross bike on race day.

And defintely get up croagh patrick in advance.

Whopper. I'm getting more excited now.

What are the IMRA races? Any you know of around Dublin which you'd recommend?

I'm going to get out on my bike for at least 6x 1+ hour spins before the big day for sure. Tackled Connemara having not been on a bike in years. Hopefully those spins will be enough....

• Advertisement

Baaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha just realised the hill climb as part of the Connemara Challenge is only 1,100ft. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

Hanley wrote: »
    Whopper. I'm getting more excited now.

What are the IMRA races? Any you know of around Dublin which you'd recommend?

I'm going to get out on my bike for at least 6x 1+ hour spins before the big day for sure. Tackled Connemara having not been on a bike in years. Hopefully those spins will be enough....

Here is link to IMRA races, held in Wicklow, they are very tough but will really be the besttraining you can get for GF. I find I am at the very back of the pack but don't let that put you off.
    http://www.imra.ie/leagues/view/id/10/year/2012/

You wil also need some training sessions going from bike to run and run to bike, so maybe try and fit in a few duathlons netween now and then.

You might find soem events here
    http://www.runireland.com/events

The more race pracitce you can get teh better. And you should practice running with a hydration pack on your back and you'll need to carry water in GF.

Best of luck and enjoy the taining!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Snap! I did the Connemara Challenge this year for my first ever race of that type on plan on doing GaelForce as my real achievement.

I found the bike trail part the hardest for CC as I am not used to that terrain, it really slowed me down. I have a hybrid bike.

Climbed Croagh Patrick at the weekend, it was tough enough, mainly coming down and the weather. What side does the race go up? Might try that so I have an idea of what to expect.

I was slow doing the CC because I didn't eat enough. I suffer from stitches and was trying to be careful. Now that I know what to expect and that it's more endurance I will prepare better.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Adventurer10 is right, try a duathlons as training, getting off the bike and running is something you must get comfortable doing, also from now till gfw set aside either a sat/sun to do a cycle/hill run together , just pick a hill near you,say 15km away, cycle to it( bring lock for the bike) run it and cycle home, don't worry about times, it's all about endurance. If there's no hills near you throw the bike in the car, drive out to say laragh, cycle to djouce, run it and cycle back to car, long training session done! ! There's loads of options like that one, come to think of it that might be a start for a whole new thread..!!!

Here is link to IMRA races, held in Wicklow, they are very tough but will really be the besttraining you can get for GF. I find I am at the very back of the pack but don't let that put you off.
    http://www.imra.ie/leagues/view/id/10/year/2012/

You wil also need some training sessions going from bike to run and run to bike, so maybe try and fit in a few duathlons netween now and then.

You might find soem events here
    http://www.runireland.com/events

The more race pracitce you can get teh better. And you should practice running with a hydration pack on your back and you'll need to carry water in GF.

Best of luck and enjoy the taining!!!

Jeez.... so much to do to prepare. THere was me hoping to just get some training in and do it. I'll have a look at the dates for the above and see what suits. The Pig is doing it with me so I'm sure she'll want to get some race practice in too.
    Steamer wrote: »
    Snap! I did the Connemara Challenge this year for my first ever race of that type on plan on doing GaelForce as my real achievement.

I found the bike trail part the hardest for CC as I am not used to that terrain, it really slowed me down. I have a hybrid bike.

Climbed Croagh Patrick at the weekend, it was tough enough, mainly coming down and the weather. What side does the race go up? Might try that so I have an idea of what to expect.

I was slow doing the CC because I didn't eat enough. I suffer from stitches and was trying to be careful. Now that I know what to expect and that it's more endurance I will prepare better.

The bike trail section ruined me. Went in the last wave and everyone was passing me on the descents and I was catching them when things went up. Just did not have any capacity to go down at speed. First time on a bike in years, a borrowed hybrid that was too big even with the saddle in its lowest position!! :D

I'm actually getting more and more excited about GFW now because I'm training for it this time instead of just showing up like in CC to give it a crack!
    Adventurer10 is right, try a duathlons as training, getting off the bike and running is something you must get comfortable doing, also from now till gfw set aside either a sat/sun to do a cycle/hill run together , just pick a hill near you,say 15km away, cycle to it( bring lock for the bike) run it and cycle home, don't worry about times, it's all about endurance. If there's no hills near you throw the bike in the car, drive out to say laragh, cycle to djouce, run it and cycle back to car, long training session done! ! There's loads of options like that one, come to think of it that might be a start for a whole new thread..!!!

Yeah my training plan is something along the lines of:

Monday - 2+hrs BJJ
    Tuesday - 1hr BJJ and a short (15ish min) run
    Wednesday - 60+min cycle at a decent pace
    Thursday - 1hr BJJ and a short (20ish min) run
    Friday - off
    Saturday - long cycle (80-90min) and a 10-15 min run
    Sunday - 45+ minutes of mixed terrain running

All of those numbers are kind of mid training cycle expected times, I'll start shorter over the next couple of weeks and end longer. Been sat on my a$$ since Wednesday with a strained MCL. Got out for a short cycle yesterday and all was good so hoping it holds up fine tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cassiecat

So im trying to decide if i should do it or not! i know im a bit late evening thinking about it, Gaelforce North has inspired me to do it!
    I was thinking of leaving it til next year but seen the Gaelforce West coming up and im serioulsy considering it !
    I thinking running could be my problem area, at this stage do you think im too late to even think about it as a first timer?
    decisions, decisions!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I did West last year without a huge amount of training took me 6 hours on the nose without pushing it. Anyone can do it it just depends on how long it will take you, so go for it! In saying that get in as much training as you can between now and then. Build up to a 13km run and that will do you and get a good bit of practice in on the bike (esp going up and down hills). When you go to do it next year you will know exactly what you need to do to improve your times.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Consdiering Gaelforce myself but haven't signed up yet.

Was over in westport last week and only advert i seen for it was in Eleverys, very little promotion for it round the town, seen posters and flyers for Achill ROAR.

Ran out to Croagh Patrick one of the mornings and climbed it, the top section is in bad nick, very worn in places and lots of stone giving way. I know its never been good but thought it getting worse from last time I was up, about 10 months back.

I seen in one of the papers that they are engaging some enviromental survey people to review the use of it and it mentioned sporting and charity events. Will this put Gaelforce at risk or at least the use of Croagh Patrick for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

2 things to keep in mind if you haven't signed up are the earlier wave times start getting booked out and accommodation gets very scarce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

Cassiecat wrote: »
    So im trying to decide if i should do it or not! i know im a bit late evening thinking about it, Gaelforce North has inspired me to do it!
    I was thinking of leaving it til next year but seen the Gaelforce West coming up and im serioulsy considering it !
    I thinking running could be my problem area, at this stage do you think im too late to even think about it as a first timer?
    decisions, decisions!

If you can do GFN then there is no reason not to go for GFW, if that's what you're interested in doing. There's nothing exceptional about it that should cause you to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

bigslice wrote: »

Ran out to Croagh Patrick one of the mornings and climbed it, the top section is in bad nick, very worn in places and lots of stone giving way. I know its never been good but thought it getting worse from last time I was up, about 10 months back.

I seen in one of the papers that they are engaging some enviromental survey people to review the use of it and it mentioned sporting and charity events. Will this put Gaelforce at risk or at least the use of Croagh Patrick for it.

Who is the "they" who are paying for an environmental survey?

CP is very badly erroded, and has been for a long long time. GF is probably the second worst offender when it comes to sending unsustainably large numbers of people up and down the mountain in a short space of time. Having said that, Reek Sunday would easily be the worst, so unless they totally reduce the numbers of pilgrims climbing the peak then any other attempts to reduce numbers would more than likely be little more than pointless tokenism.

The IMRA race, despite having less than 100 competitors, re-routed it's decent away from the main track because of the problems of erosion, and this year has dropped CP from it's calendar altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cassiecat

Enduro wrote: »
    If you can do GFN then there is no reason not to go for GFW, if that's what you're interested in doing. There's nothing exceptional about it that should cause you to worry.

hey i never said i could do GFN!!! LOL

Ive never done anything like this in my life.. im sure the cycling will be a challenge but i reckon i could manage it, its just the running/fast walking that i think will be my problem area, they say as long as you compleet it in 2hrs you shold be on target, is that cutting it too fine?

Im going to increase my cycling and start to do a bit of running over the next 2 weeks and see how things go!

If i start it I want to finish it and would be really disappointed if i didnt so i need to make sure Im ready! :o

As for CP, i havent been up it but ive been up Errigal a few times in Donegal.. is it any comparision?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Enduro wrote: »
    Who is the "they" who are paying for an environmental survey?

CP is very badly erroded, and has been for a long long time. GF is probably the second worst offender when it comes to sending unsustainably large numbers of people up and down the mountain in a short space of time. Having said that, Reek Sunday would easily be the worst, so unless they totally reduce the numbers of pilgrims climbing the peak then any other attempts to reduce numbers would more than likely be little more than pointless tokenism.

The IMRA race, despite having less than 100 competitors, re-routed it's decent away from the main track because of the problems of erosion, and this year has dropped CP from it's calendar altogether.

http://www.cinews.ie/article.php?artid=10348

Online link here - seems to be Bord Failte West who will be funding it. Reading that report, its seems to be more to control the numbers on the Reek at various times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fjw

Ive entered gaelforce and havent a notion what i ve let my self in for, I can run a bit but how much cycling is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

fjw wrote: »
    Ive entered gaelforce and havent a notion what i ve let my self in for, I can run a bit but how much cycling is involved.

Get plenty of cycling in but I'd argue the running is more important. Hit the hills as often as you can on foot and on the bike. Even if you end up walking up Croagh Patrick rather than running, the hill running practice will make this easier. I worked off a Hal Higdon Half Marathon training program last year and threw in one long cycle each weekend (I would have cycled more but I was working abroad), that got in around in under 7 hours.
    Cassiecat wrote: »
    hey i never said i could do GFN!!! LOL

Ive never done anything like this in my life.. im sure the cycling will be a challenge but i reckon i could manage it, its just the running/fast walking that i think will be my problem area, they say as long as you compleet it in 2hrs you shold be on target, is that cutting it too fine?

Im going to increase my cycling and start to do a bit of running over the next 2 weeks and see how things go!

If i start it I want to finish it and would be really disappointed if i didnt so i need to make sure Im ready! :o

As for CP, i havent been up it but ive been up Errigal a few times in Donegal.. is it any comparision?

For the guys who have done the Connemara Challenge, the bike route for GFW is meant to be much better surface than the trail on the Connemara Challenge, I did GFW last year but decided not to do the Connemara Challenge because I don't have an MTB, a Road bike will be well able for GFW if you put Gatorskin tyres or similar on it. The general consensus always seems to be that you'll make up so much time on the road that the MTB's will never catch you on the few hairy bits, although you may have to carry the bike for a short section after coming off the Reek.

Stick to the main "zig-zag" path up the Reek unless you have a good bit of Mountain Running experience, I took the straight option up the heather last year and lost loads of time. Had a recce a few weeks ago and took the zig-zag off a 32KM cycle and knocked 20 minutes off my time from last year without even pushing myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Road bike trumps the mountain bike every time on GF. I have done it on both, and took chunks out of my time on the road bike. You'll be a little slower on the final stretch of the first cycle, which is along a fire road, and you'll have to jump off once or twice on the final cycle, but the time you'll make up on the road will dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Skilgannon79

I'm heading for my fourth GFW this year and I've had very differing experiences due to differing levels of fitness and preparation so I should be able to give you some good advice!!

The first year I did GFW was in 2009, I had heard about it from a friend and just signed up. Hadn't a clue really what it was about or what kind of preparation was needed and I'd never done anything like it before. I went off to Halfords and bought a cheap mountain bike with full suspension (not lockable) and thought I was sorted. The bike weighed something like 30kgs. I did a small bit of running and cycling, no hill runs or anything and then I turned up at the start line with 1 energy bar and one gel. 6 hours 40 minutes later I was helped over the line by an old lady from the ambulance service (have the pics to prove it).

I've learned something new each year since then, this year I'm in the elite wave and aiming to get inside 4 hours. My main learning points over the few years were:

1. Road Bike, leave the mountain bike for the mountains!
    2. Pump the tyres.... 110psi
    3. Eat well beforehand, hydrate often and carry bars and gels (gels from Croagh Patrick onwards). Use the bike as a fuel station.
    4. Minimise the weight you're carrying, if you feel you need a pack then just carry what you need in it, nothing more. Make sure the pack fits snugly, if its jumping around it'll drive you insane.
    5. Train on hills (bike and run)
    6. Train on hills (bike and run)

A lot depends on what kind of approach you're taking to the race.... if you're planning a steady race and getting over the line is the main priority then those tips should get you through with no problem, if you want to push for better times then you could think about adding in these tips, most likely for next year...

7. Balance slower hill training with speed training on the flat
    8. Do some downhill running training if possible, coming down Croagh Patrick really really fast is an easy way of knocking off minutes and it's a great buzz too!
    9. Consider investing in a pair of lightweight trail runners, I have a pair of Inov8 X-Talon 212's and I swear by them but be warned your body needs time to adjust to them because they have a lot less cushioning than conventional road runners. Also the extra grip they provide will automatically adjust your running/hiking posture on steep hills and you'll find the strain changing to different muscle groups which takes a bit of adjusting to (but does make you faster!)

That's all I can think of at the moment, no doubt there's lots more valuable advice and half the fun is learning these things for yourself anyway! Enjoy the day!!

Advertisement