Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Names - are these?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get a list of Irish names together for impending new arrival and am finding a LOT of conflicting information on sites. Sooooo ... for those native Irish speakers acn anyone help me please?

I have seen the name Derin (or is it Derrin?) listed as being Irish - is it?

Also, Fionnán - I know Fionn is but is Fionnán
    Finnian - what is the correct Irish spelling?

Caoilfhionn - is this the correct spelling or is it Caoileann?

And finally for now Aoibhinn or Aoibheann?? ... I want the pronunciation Eve-een not A-veen - either of these?

Thank you for any help you can give!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nabanoga

Hi, I'm not a native Irish speaker but my daughter goes to a Gaelscoil so I'll try. I don't think I've seen Derrin before but there is a girls name Doireann which is probably the same. I've seen Fionnán before as a boys name alright. I've also seen Caoilfhionn (kweelin or keelin) and Aoibhinn (eevinn) as girls names.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Most people seem to prefer the older spelling Caoilfhionn. It has been modernised to Caoileann though. Fionnán has as a translation Finan (or the older Fionan). Aoibheann somehow gets translated as Yvonne. Aoibhinn is nearer to what you are looking for...I would say that's Eve-in'...others may differ.
    Never heard of Derin or Derrin.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Thank you very much for your replies! The more I Google the more confused I get ... we really want to keep to 'proper' Irish names and their spellings.

Can I ask - I know that Seoirse is the Irish for George but I've seen Seorsag and also Seoirse written for Georgina ... can Seoirse or I suppose 'IS' Seoirse the Irish for Georgina also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

nabanoga wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not a native Irish speaker but my daughter goes to a Gaelscoil so I'll try. I don't think I've seen Derrin before but there is a girls name Doireann which is probably the same. I've seen Fionnán before as a boys name alright. I've also seen Caoilfhionn (kweelin or keelin) and Aoibhinn (eevinn) as girls names.

I would 100% agree with nabanoga here regarding the spellings and pronunciations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Only wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your replies! The more I Google the more confused I get ... we really want to keep to 'proper' Irish names and their spellings.

Can I ask - I know that Seoirse is the Irish for George but I've seen Seorsag and also Seoirse written for Georgina ... can Seoirse or I suppose 'IS' Seoirse the Irish for Georgina also?

I'd imagine it'd be Seoirsín for Georgina. As in Pádraig for Patrick, Pádraigín for Patricia..same thing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement